Creation of a Testing Shard

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Creation of a Testing Shard

Postby Zorkmid » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:53 am

Hi,
I've created a new shard in a vmware Ubuntu 18.04.1 environment using postgresql 10. I've run into the following problem when I try to launch the server:

osboxes@osboxes:~$ cd /opt/dirtsand
osboxes@osboxes:/opt/dirtsand$ bin/dirtsand dirtsand.ini
ds-918> [Status] Running on 127.0.0.1/8080
[Lobby] Running on 127.0.0.1/14617
/home/osboxes/dirtsand/AuthServ/AuthVault.cpp:211:
Postgres SELECT error: ERROR: permission denied for schema vault
LINE 1: SELECT "idx" FROM vault."Nodes" WHERE "NodeType"=$1
^

[Auth] Vault failed to initialize

Does anyone know what the problem is and the solution? I suspect that dirtsand tries to initialize the progresql database rather than dirtsand and that the dirtsand user has insufficient privileges to be able to succeed. It may be that the version of dirtsand that I use tries to open the wrong database.

I've checked that dirtsand.ini has the right settings for db.username and db.password and that the dirtsand user can access progresql with those credentials.
Thanks.
Zorkmid

Re: Creation of a Testing Shard

Postby Zorkmid » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 am

I modified the database to give dirtsand superuser access and the problem disappeared. That led to further problems as processing continued. I'll document that in a separate posting.
Thanks.

Zorkmid wrote:Hi,
I've created a new shard in a vmware Ubuntu 18.04.1 environment using postgresql 10. I've run into the following problem when I try to launch the server:

osboxes@osboxes:~$ cd /opt/dirtsand
osboxes@osboxes:/opt/dirtsand$ bin/dirtsand dirtsand.ini
ds-918> [Status] Running on 127.0.0.1/8080
[Lobby] Running on 127.0.0.1/14617
/home/osboxes/dirtsand/AuthServ/AuthVault.cpp:211:
Postgres SELECT error: ERROR: permission denied for schema vault
LINE 1: SELECT "idx" FROM vault."Nodes" WHERE "NodeType"=$1
^

[Auth] Vault failed to initialize

Does anyone know what the problem is and the solution? I suspect that dirtsand tries to initialize the progresql database rather than dirtsand and that the dirtsand user has insufficient privileges to be able to succeed. It may be that the version of dirtsand that I use tries to open the wrong database.

I've checked that dirtsand.ini has the right settings for db.username and db.password and that the dirtsand user can access progresql with those credentials.
Thanks.
Zorkmid

Postby Deledrius » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:50 pm

What instructions are you following to set up the server? Step 1 of the README's Setting up a Server section should have properly made the correct changes to the permissions.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Zorkmid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:25 am

Those are the instructions that I followed. I don't like giving dirtsand superuser access, so I'll take a look closer once I get the client/server working properly.

Deledrius wrote:What instructions are you following to set up the server? Step 1 of the README's Setting up a Server section should have properly made the correct changes to the permissions.
Zorkmid

Postby Deledrius » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Zorkmid wrote:
Deledrius wrote:What instructions are you following to set up the server? Step 1 of the README's Setting up a Server section should have properly made the correct changes to the permissions.

Those are the instructions that I followed. I don't like giving dirtsand superuser access, so I'll take a look closer once I get the client/server working properly.

Those instructions shouldn't give the dirstand superuser access, it gives that single user ownership of the dirtsand database, and that database alone. Everything else should be run as a limited dirtsand user, not a superuser.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Building