Korman 0.07 Released

News pertaining to the site and the forums, as well as guild discussions and events in the world of Uru.

Korman 0.07 Released

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Seven months later, a random Korman 0.07 has appeared! Korman 0.07 represents 67 commits and approximately 2,700 lines of code changed from the previous version. The major new features for this release are the ability to export cameras to your age and a revamped Responder node tree. When you open your blend files with Korman 0.07, your old responders should be automatically updated to the new format. Please note that once you save a blend file, your Korman 0.07 trees will no longer work in older versions of Korman. Unfortunately, if you had any "Region Trigger Settings" nodes in your blend files, they will have to be completely recreated.

Changes in this release:
  • Added the ability to compress lightmaps in the Textures file
  • Added the ability to export cameras
  • Added the ability to specify specific Plasma versions for pages to export to
  • Added the ability to track Plasma games and export to them individually
  • Added the image library modifier
  • Fixed a crash in the exporter when specifying a Dynamic Text Map with Python texture nodes
  • Fixed an infinite recursion issue in Python integer attribute nodes
  • Fixed an issue in which Pass Index could cause geometry to be forgotten on export, crashing URU
  • Fixed an issue in which Python texture attribute nodes would not display correctly
  • Fixed an issue in which Region Trigger Settings nodes would never be exported
  • Fixed an issue in which Responders linked to Python nodes would not notify the Python script when a state finishes executing
  • Fixed an issue in which Responders would not advance correctly after an Animation Command message
  • Fixed an issue in which the current selection would be lost on export
  • Fixed an issue in which the export would fail with a "context failed" error message
  • Fixed an issue in which sound file names would be changed on export
  • Fixed a potential blender crash when unlinking node sockets
  • Fixed another "No valid image found to bake to" issue with lightmapping
  • Fixed baking lightmaps with materials marked "Receive Transparent"
  • Fixed ladder detector regions being placed at the origin in PotS
  • Reworked the Responder node tree to be more intuitive

As part of this release, we squashed a few serious Blender-crashing bugs, one of which caused Blender to crash when unlinking nodes from one another. There is still a bug present that in some situations can cause Blender to crash when undoing, loading a blend, and making a new blend if certain Korman features are active. I have traced this bug deep into Blender itself and have crafted a fix. I plan to submit this as a patch to Blender itself, but I am uncertain if there will be another release of Blender 2.79 because the Blender developers are focused on their 2.80 release. If this is the case, I will make available a Windows build of blender that will incorporate this fix.

Please remember that Korman is still in beta (that's why the first number in the version is a zero)--don't shoot if there are bugs! In particular, I would be wary about utilizing the ability to set the gravity in a subworld. The gravity setting does different things on different engines and may not necessarily work the way you think it should ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Korman 0.07 Released

Postby Doobes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:[*] Fixed baking lightmaps with materials marked "Receive Transparent"

Which means that, with proper setup, everyone can now use Korman to bake lightmaps with shadows like this:

Show Spoiler

A tutorial is on the way! ;)

EDIT: And here it is, ready to go: https://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Kor ... ure_Shadow
Last edited by Doobes on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Acorn » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Seven months later, a random Korman 0.07 has appeared! Korman 0.07 represents 67 commits and approximately 2,700 lines of code changed from the previous version.

Wow, great work, everyone :o :ugeek: :D
Acorn

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:58 am

Very nice work ! :D We've really come a long way since the days of old (PyPRP'n'stuff), which is really great !

Gravity in subworlds, huh ? I experimented with it long ago, on my crappy PC.
crappy video (damn, I finally salvaged it along with my Photobucket library, been a while. That website is horrible.)
From what I remember, in CC:
- gravity doesn't change avatar rotation (rotate the subworld itself to rotate the avatar)
- gravity affects standing jump
- gravity does not affect walking and running jump
MOULa might behave differently. All in all, tweaking gravity might better be left to default ;)

Doobes wrote:Which means that, with proper setup, everyone can now use Korman to bake lightmaps with shadows like this:

I love that picture. It still has that Plasma vibe, but the detailed textures and soft shadows can probably compete with lots of Unity-made games which use dynamic lighting.

This really motivates me to work on my Plasma-on-Unity project. I dream to see what people could achieve with Unity-made fan-Ages...
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:06 am

Sirius wrote:This really motivates me to work on my Plasma-on-Unity project. I dream to see what people could achieve with Unity-made fan-Ages...

I love that people in this community still motivate each other, even with all of our separate projects.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Doobes » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 am

Sirius wrote:
Doobes wrote:Which means that, with proper setup, everyone can now use Korman to bake lightmaps with shadows like this:

I love that picture. It still has that Plasma vibe, but the detailed textures and soft shadows can probably compete with lots of Unity-made games which use dynamic lighting.

It does look great and I love the effect. The only caveat is that, since it IS a lightmap, it's static. /shrug

Still, it's a start! :)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby J'Kla » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:02 pm

I am looking forward to trying out this lightmap stuff.

This release sneaked up on me when I was not looking this is realy cool.
J'Kla

Postby Chacal » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks to the dev team for keeping the flame bright!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby J'Kla » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am

Is there a method to add Korman to a Linux install of Blender 2.76b ?
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 am

Blender 2.76b is not compatible with Korman.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Guild News