Meshroom Photogrammetry

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Meshroom Photogrammetry

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 am

Over Christmas I have been looking at a piece of open source software that allows you to create a Blender 3D textured Mesh from a set of ordinary photographs

Tutorial with Samples

https://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/20 ... hroom.aspx

I grabbed and used the samples

https://github.com/mkbreuer/Misc-Share- ... Images.zip

this set of rock images and Meshroom does take a while to run because I do have an oldish graphics card but it is Nvidia and does support CUDA. In Meshroom in the 3D viewer window I do have something that resembles the rock shape. It is almost like none of the image content has been assigned to be background.

The .obj file imports into Blender I am using version 2.79 where the result appears as a single mesh none of which is rock shaped when I look at the textured view I can see that the surface of this distorted sheet is made of 9,310 faces in a single skin where I can see that the texture is made from the original images I can make out parts that are the brick floor surface and I can see the van that appears in some of the background. But it aint no rock shape. I am going to review the tutorial to see if there is some step I have missed out I have a couple of projects pending but I do know this Rock set of images is supposed to work.

[edit]

I cleared the cache and rerun the process from scratch and the whole thing took circa 20 minutes the largest portion of this being the DepthMap section and I noticed that what appeared to be the rock was the point cloud I needed to click import model to actually see the mesh and this was the shape I saw when I imported the mesh .obj file into Blender. So it does look like Blender is importing the mesh as generated by MeshRoom it is just that the mesh I am generating is not the same as the mesh generated in the video from the same sample set. All of the images have a green check mark and the point cloud does appear to be roughly in a rock shape just that the generated mesh is not breaking the resulting mesh into foreground and background sections. There is a possibility I have not installed properly so I am going to take time to revisit this and try again.

[/edit]

[edit2]
Fresh install no change I am going to take everything to some alternative hardware I have access to to try it there.
[/edit2]

[edit3]
Tried with a newer PC with much more recent Graphics card and the Rock image set has worked fine so it was obviously an older version of CUDA that was incompatible. I will find out the spec of the PC and Graphics used and update when I have the data.
[/edit3]

[edit4]
I am now using my best Camera this is a Fuji S8650 the Meta data for pictures taken with this camera specify the camera as "S8600 S8650 S8630" so the get Meshroom to recognise the photographs it is necessary to edit the cameraSensors.db file you find this file in the folder Meshroom-2018.1.0\aliceVision\share\aliceVision (note the Meshroom-2018.0.0 may have different digits as this relates to the version). Edit the .db file with a text editor and change the line

Fujifilm; Fujifilm Finepix S8600;6.16

so that it becomes

Fujifilm; Fujifilm Finepix S8600 S8650 S8630;6.16

Another good tutorial is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMDFydHeso

[/edit4]

[edit5]

The graphics card that worked was a Nvidia GTX1050

[/edit5]

[edit6]

There is also a tool on this page "Instant Meshes" scroll down the page for the Linux and Windows binaries and this has its own tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4NavAy5f4 this is like blenders decimate but with more options.

[/edit6]
J'Kla

Re: Meshroom Photogrammetry

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:28 am

Photogrammetry ? Sounds cool ! I'll give it a try at some point... (when my internet access provider actually repairs my line... until then I have to save on my limited phone's 4G connection... sigh)

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was done mostly with photogrammetry, and the result is rather impressive. The software they used wasn't free though, so I'd love experimenting with a free version.
Sirius

Postby J'Kla » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 am

Today I finally got the software to work with some photographs taken with my Fuji camera you need to make sure the camera spec embedded in the meta data is in the cameraSensors.db file its a text file so it should not be a big issue.
J'Kla

Postby Chacal » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Perfect for Teledahn.
Wait, you said MESHROOM. Sorry
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Sirius wrote:The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was done mostly with photogrammetry, and the result is rather impressive.

It was pretty immersive (and a very good game besides).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:22 am

Chacal wrote:Perfect for Teledahn.
Wait, you said MESHROOM. Sorry

A mushroom or a toadstool would be an ideal subject for a Teledahn extension using Meshroom to capture data.
J'Kla

Return to Plasma Development