ELODEA and ALABASTER Update

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: ELODEA and ALABASTER Update

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:51 am

About this, you can be sure ;)
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Dulcamara » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Sirius wrote: And most of the work we're doing is still a fun entertainment I believe.

Yes that is true. It is and remains my favorite hobby :-)
Dulcamara

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Even though we are hijacking Dulcamara's thread here, I'll pitch in:

Yes, the number of agebuilders, writers and coders has dropped over the years.
That said, it's really encouraging to see that so many of us remain active, as time permits in our lives.
Also, keep in mind that around the globe there are active individuals and small teams continuing to slowly develop projects over the years - even though they may not post on the forums.
All told, I'm always amazed at the sum total of behind-the-scenes work going on at any given time - even though we don't witness it on a day-to-day basis.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby JDistheone » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Hello and thank you for creating the amazing ages of Elodea and Alabaster!! I have spent over a month exploring them and it has been quite a challenge to find all 7 journey cloths! I cannot imagine how you were able to do all these in your spare time.

I have a question about the bird from Alabaster: I couldn't find the second one which would be number 5. I suppose you don't really need it to figure out that last puzzle though. But in my mind these are the real sequels to Myst & Riven; their scale is off the charts and so much fun.

Thank you for these Dulcamara!
JDistheone

Postby Dulcamara » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:46 am

Hello JDistheone, :)

it feels so good to hear that somebody is really exploring my ages. Thanks very much for your positiv contribution here in the forum.

Yes, you are right it is not necessary to find all the animals. Because if you are missing only one or two you can try the rest. Nevertheless, I do not want to deprive you of course where you find the bird and thus the number 5.
Show Spoiler

Thank you again for your nice words

Dulcamara
Dulcamara

Postby Hermanix » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:03 pm

I want to thank Yuo for Your fine Ages, Dulcamara! I am an olld Fin, I am over 70 years old but I like to play these Ages! Because I am not clever enough I need some help for playing and so I seek all hints and walkthroughs. So I can find all fine places in Your Ages. Thanks again!
Hermanix

Postby JDistheone » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Dulcamara wrote:Hello JDistheone, :)

it feels so good to hear that somebody is really exploring my ages. Thanks very much for your positiv contribution here in the forum.

Yes, you are right it is not necessary to find all the animals. Because if you are missing only one or two you can try the rest. Nevertheless, I do not want to deprive you of course where you find the bird and thus the number 5.
Show Spoiler

Thank you again for your nice words

Dulcamara

I had seen that number 5 on the shelf and opened that painting and saw the book, but never saw the photo! But I was looking for something BIG like all the other ones. Very clever; I'll go back and play it again. Thanks for your help!
JDistheone

Postby Dulcamara » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:23 am

@JDistheone I'm glad that you want to try again.

@ Hermanix: I can’t remember if there is an up-to-date solution for my Alabaster age. I changed age several times because there were always problems with the multiplayer mode. :evil: In the beginning, Alabaster was just a single age. After problems I divided it in two parts. But even with two parts it was still too big for some players. So I decided to make three parts out of it.
It was a bit complicated to find the places where now the key books stands. That are the places to link in the other ages. From Alabaster1 to Alabaster2 (in the Tunnel) or from Alabsters1 to Alabaster3 (top of the mountain).
It should still look like it is a whole age.
The 7 cloths are now distributed to all 3 ages. The last cloth, however, is located in Alabaster1. To get there you have to cross Alabaster3.
It seems a bit complicated.

I admit it is a bit difficult to get into the Ages, because there is a puzzle to crack at the beginning of every age.
So I will try to help first with the puzzles at the beginning in each age part.

Start is Alabaster1.

You link in in to a hall with a book (the history of Alabaster) and a big "sun". If you know my ages in the past (Elodea...) you know you should not click this sun at the beginning. It is only a help for the future.
So, how to come out of this room?
The puzzle are the blinking symbols on the wall.
You will find the hint in Elodea (if you start your adventure in Elodea).
In Elodea there are mountains which do not really fit to the rest of the age. You can also see teeth, which should be a sign for Alabaster.
If you solved the puzzle
Show Spoiler
in Elodea you come in the room where the Alabaster linking book is on a book stand.
You can go upstairs to a room. You see two blackboards with numbers. D'ni numbers and the other should be "Alabaster numbers" ?

Ok, now you can link to Alabaster.
You know the code (blinking stone on the wall) is
Show Spoiler
The other blinking stone is only a button. If you press it, the door will open and you are in the tunnel to the outside.
Find the stones with the blinking numbers
Show Spoiler
and you will open the grid gate to come outside to the first age of Alabaster.
You are outside! WOW. :lol:
Maybe one day :D you find the way to the tunnel, where the linking key book to Alabaster2 is positioned.
Show Spoiler

You link in to Alabaster 2
and damn there is the next puzzle.
There are more rooms to explore, but you can’t come to the part where the signs for the next puzzles are placed.

The beetle Puzzle:
You will find more then one hints.
The first hint are the red Doorsigns. That seem to be mathematic.
Show Spoiler

But make no realy sence.
To solve these you have to find the other hint.

A picture with beetles over the bathtub.
Show Spoiler

Ok, back to the picture, let us think about the math.
Show Spoiler

After you press the code the glass vitrine opens and a big beetle is sitting on a podest. Press this beetle on the back side and the big wall will move and change the doors to another hidden tunnel.

Now you can go to the most places in Alabaster2.
Show Spoiler

Only the laboratory need a little bit help.

There are 2 ways to reach it.
Show Spoiler

Alabaster 3

If you after a week or more :lol: ;-) of exploration reached the mountain in the middle of the big water you will stand on the top of the mountain standing before a big Door.

That is the linking station to come to Alabaster3.
After linking you are on the other side of the door, visual you should in the same age as before, but really you are in a separate age.

Please do not touch the link cloth first. (only if you have made a age reset before ). Otherwise you link to a place on which another player touched a cloth in the past.

The right way is to solve the puzzle. (Oh no ;-) )
I call it Feather puzzle.

The hint for this puzzle you find in the school (Alabaster2)
That is what the link cloth will tell you, if you touch it after a age reset.
OK.
So what is the hint:
In the school room you find a blackboard with a painting of the Feather sculpture. There you find also the hint: Always the middle color and always the middle symbol.
Show Spoiler

Code:
Show Spoiler

After you have input the right code the stone in the middle of the place will rotate and open a hidden way to the underground. Now you should be able to visit all hidden places in this mountain. In Alabaster3 you will find 2 of the 7 cloth.

Of course there are more puzzles on this islands.

Your real task is to find the 7 cloth to open a hidden closed "Door" (maybe another thing).
Also you have to find all the animals (totally 12) to open the animal palace.
So it is possible some animal you can only find after solving a puzzle.

First the places of the cloths:

I have positioned a map in the Garden (Alabaster2).
Show Spoiler

It is not important to find them in the right order.
(I already thought about to change the order a bit and to exchange the positions of the cloth 3 with cloth 4 and cloth 5 with cloth 6 as well in the next update.)

The 12 Animals:

1. The first animal you can find on the beach. A sand pile. If you see it from the top you can realize what it is. The D'ni number is near on a stone. And in the near you can find also a cloth.

2. The second animal you can find before you reach the beach. There are wooden posts arranged like a fence. In the middle of this fence you see a thatch ball with a D'ni Number.
You can imagine what animal it is, if you are on the bridge over it (Alabaster3). You can see it also in the telescope on the balcony.
(close this animation with ESC).

3. The third animal, you can find in a cave down under the Eye room.
To come to the eye room you have to swim from the beach left side to a stair in the water. When you enter this room you see a symbol over the entrance.
Show Spoiler

Ok, what to do: especially keep your nerves.
In this area there is a cloth. Could it be that you have seen it through a fissure before?
If you go to the middle of this labyrinth you find a Puzzle: I call it tower puzzle.

The hint to this puzzle you will find in the rooms under the animal Palace.
Show Spoiler

So that is your code.
Show Spoiler

The tower opens and you can go the ladder down in the cave,
and after pushing the button you will find your next animal and of course your number.
It is possible that if you jump in the water you sink down to the bottom. That is a bug and maybe it happens because the ladder region touched the water region. That's not really important..
All you have to do is, hold your breath and enjoy the beautiful underwater world. And maybe you also see the grid, an interface to AlabastersDepths. (but this is only the future). If you run out of oxygen, you should "swim up" or better go out. Through a long tunnel you come to the outside of the mountain.

4. The fourth animal. You can find it, when you go to the top of the mountain. If you come out of the first linking room. Look right side. You see a village and in the near a way to the top of the mountain.
On the way to the top you have to find a cloth too.
If you stay on the highest point you can imagine an animal on the ground.
If you walk on the ground it is only a silly way. And on the end you will find a pole with a button and a number on his top. Push the button and you get a second hint to your animal.

5. The fith animal. In the building below the animal palace leads a spiral staircase upstairs into an office and a bedroom. There is a hidden photo on the desk (close with ESC).
Next to it is an empty
Show Spoiler
. In the bedroom
Show Spoiler

6. The sixth animal. You can find also on the top of the mountain.
There is a hidden passage you do not see at first. But if your eye discovers something red in the distance, which you later recognize as an insect, you will find the way.
Ok, go through this passage and you realize a animal which was made from bones.
The broken eggshell will give you another hint.

7. The seventh animal. You can find it in the village. It is a little bit abstract, because it was made from the villagers with fabric threads. The number was shown with an arrow in a painting on the ground. It is a children game called "hopping box".
By the way, you should look around the village as well, maybe there is a hint to the insect puzzle.

8. The eighth animal is again at an interface between Alabaster 1 and Alabaster 2. If you are on the way to the beach there is a wooden stair to a "garden" on the top. There is a button on the wall. But if you touch the button you hear an animation and you see changing something but you can’t see what it really means. So you have to be in Alabaster2 to see what really happens. If you see from the top, you see an animal which is able to adapt perfect to the subground.
Nevertheless you have to go on this garden ground and if you look around you will catch the number.

9. The ninth animal is also on a top of a mountain. But this time you have to go left side. There is no a right way because the saying goes all roads lead to Rome. So if you on the top of a mountain where you see finger symbols with geometric buttons you are on the right place.

Again a puzzle.

You can find hints in Alabaster3. One look in the telescope (near laboratory) can help. And one piece of papers splitted in two parts will give you the code.
Show Spoiler

Code:
Show Spoiler

10. The tenth animal. You will find it in Alabaster3. After two damned long spiral-stairs, you can find a room with a marble floor and a stair to a sitting place. Puh, time to rest. :-)
Maybe now you understand the nonsensical pattern on the mountain.
Ok, animal and number found.

I said before, that you can find 2 Cloths in this age. But you can find also many rooms and of course another puzzle.
Well you can get the elevator or take the stairs. Both are not without danger.

If you have made it to the premises it is possible to fall down, while trying to come to the cloth.
No panic. There are several possibilities to come back.
Of course, the most elegant thing is to solve the puzzle.

The hint
Show Spoiler

Code
Show Spoiler

11. The eleventh animal is really big, so it was not easy to hide it.
The animal is again at an interface. It can be discovered in both ages Alabaster1 and Alabaster3. But the number you need, you can only find if you solve the puzzle.
Oh yes another puzzle.
I call it insect puzzle.

The puzzle place is in Alabaster3. The code
Show Spoiler

Code
Show Spoiler

The hints (you not really need if you have the code) are hidden on several places of the age.

So if you pushed the last button of the puzzle you should get a bit faster and walk towards the golden gate before it closes again.
To rest after this you can sit down on the bench right side.

You see the animal and realize the number on the window. Maybe you see another puzzle hint (you need not any more, you have solved it already).
But oh, the door closed and the button is broken.
It may not be the fine way, but you'll have to climb up the rose trellis to come back.

12. The last animal of course is the monster.
If you happened to be in the backcountry, you heard it growl and saw the number painted in blood. It's better you do not even try to free it. You saw what happens on the field of bones.

These were all the animals you need to unlock the Animalpalace.

Someone asked me, what happens with the jellyfish?
Ok! There is no matching button for the jellyfish. Nevertheless that is the place where the door will open with turning to let you in in the animal palace.
But maybe we will see the jellyfish in another chapter of Alabaster…. Who knows.

Code:
Show Spoiler

So I think these are the most questions that could be relevant to the gameplay. In addition, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I knew, how to put a Walkthrough into the Gallery of Fan Created Ages. I would do it. Maybe someone can give me a hint.

Dulcamara

Postby Hermanix » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 am

Waauu! Thank You Dulcamara! That's fine help to me! I have played all Elodea Ages some years ago and I am playing these again now! (I am now in Tunnelgang). Also I Walked in Alabaster when You published it (so I understand how to start it), but never go to the end of it. I hope, that the division can help me, so I start it when I have completed Elodea. I have played Myst and URU from the beginning of them, so many many many years and I come back again and again. I tried some other games, but THE MYST IS THE BEST AND URU AGES THE VERY BEST ALL OF THEM!
Thanks again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: ;)
Hermanix

Postby Dulcamara » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 am

you are very welcome :-)
Dulcamara

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island