Korman: wanted features

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Korman: wanted features

Postby J'Kla » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:29 am

OK lets see if I can make a couple of suggestions without getting my head bitten off. :)

Firstly how about an Export option that produces the encrypted format ready for a dirtsand shard age server.

I do not know if this is even a possibility.

Secondly how about an avatar clothing editor.

Thirdly how about running Wiki updates past idiots like me before claiming that all of the answers are contained in the Wiki.

I am still up shit creek without a paddle on the Journal stuff. :( :oops:

I have a ton of stuff where I was using the Location editor provided by Deladrius and I have no idea how this relates to the new method for Journals as now supported in Korman 0.80.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm

J'Kla wrote:OK lets see if I can make a couple of suggestions without getting my head bitten off. :)

Fewer passive-aggressive statements starting off a post asking for help might be a good idea. ;)

J'Kla wrote:Firstly how about an Export option that produces the encrypted format ready for a dirtsand shard age server.

Are you using the full game export "Package Age" option in the World panel?

J'Kla wrote:Secondly how about an avatar clothing editor.

Obviously, this is a key feature which will eventually be supported. Korman is still missing all avatar features, such as animation and clothing. It's going to be a big job tackling all of that, and we've been working on the Age-building portions first.

J'Kla wrote:Thirdly how about running Wiki updates past idiots like me before claiming that all of the answers are contained in the Wiki.

No need. It's a wiki. If you want to view updates to the wiki, check the Recent Changes page.

I never claim that all answers are on the wiki. I will however be annoyed when an answer is on the wiki and someone refuses to check it before asking for things that are well-documented there. We have a shortage of labor around here, and it takes a lot of work to write something well. If we have managed to document something, having it ignored is a double-insult to that work for which is already hard to find time. We're all adults here, and while I'm happy to help and take requests to prioritize things, I don't have time to do those things and hold someone's hand. My advice when asking for help is to cut the snark, be specific, and don't ask for a hundred things at once.

The more we can get people to contribute to things like the wiki, the better off we'll all be. I'd love to be able to improve the wiki full time, finish the re-organization that Lyrositor started but didn't complete, and keep the articles updated for each new release of Korman, but I cannot. Previously Doobes was helping out as he found something was undocumented, but he too has been occupied elsewhere IRL.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:07 am

Deledrius wrote:
J'Kla wrote:OK lets see if I can make a couple of suggestions without getting my head bitten off. :)

Fewer passive-aggressive statements starting off a post asking for help might be a good idea. ;)

Hey! Hoikas started it when said he was pissed. I am ex-RAF and know "a sense of humor failure" when I see it. In the military we were always aware of the following Latin "futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis".

NOTE: The smiley it was not "passive aggressive" it was a joke I refer you to my earlier Latin.

J'Kla wrote:Firstly how about an Export option that produces the encrypted format ready for a dirtsand shard age server.

Deledrius wrote:I do not know if this is even a possibility.

Are you using the full game export "Package Age" option in the World panel?

What is "Package Age" in the World Panel and how do I use it? Classic example of jargon hiding. Is "Package Age" what I was asking for? I do not know.

Did you not realise that if this is the answer I would not have needed to suggest it as a feature.

The correct response should have been "Review the Package Age option in the World Panel. Get back if you still have an issue"

Deledrius wrote:
J'Kla wrote:Secondly how about an avatar clothing editor.

Obviously, this is a key feature which will eventually be supported. Korman is still missing all avatar features, such as animation and clothing. It's going to be a big job tackling all of that, and we've been working on the Age-building portions first.

OK.
NOTE: This is one of the few responses I have received that is concise.

Deledrius wrote:
J'Kla wrote:Thirdly how about running Wiki updates past idiots like me before claiming that all of the answers are contained in the Wiki.

No need. It's a wiki. If you want to view updates to the wiki, check the Recent Changes page.

Here you go assuming I would know about "Recent Changes Page" OK I do now.

Not that it helped all it tells me is there are two pages that have been updated I look at the page and the writer in this case Hoikas may consider it concise.

Now lets assume I had not been an idiot and I had reviewed the ""Recent Changes Page" I am now providing some feedback I don't understand the changes I tried them and yes I have managed to add a text file but the content does not end up in my exported Age file as a readable journal.

Yes I do get a .loc file and I can read it with the localization Editor that you kindly provided and editing the Text file in my blend file changes the content of the .loc file but it does not appear in the age I was actually better of using that Localization Editor only now am the one having a pending "sense of humor failure". But I will persist and assuming I do find an answer I will provide the feedback and I will engage.

Deledrius wrote:I never claim that all answers are on the wiki. I will however be annoyed when an answer is on the wiki and someone refuses to check it before asking for things that are well-documented there. We have a shortage of labor around here, and it takes a lot of work to write something well. If we have managed to document something, having it ignored is a double-insult to that work for which is already hard to find time. We're all adults here, and while I'm happy to help and take requests to prioritize things, I don't have time to do those things and hold someone's hand. My advice when asking for help is to cut the snark, be specific, and don't ask for a hundred things at once.

"Well Documented" is very much a subjective description. You tell me it takes a "lot of labor" to document something well.

Wow! Have you actually read my notes on building a dirtsand shard.

I don't ignore documentation it's either a case of not knowing what it has been named or not understanding the given documentation. I may be an idiot but I do have time to review and edit documentation so I suggest you have me inside the tent repairing holes. This is why I was offering to have the Wiki entries run past me I have time and I can write Noob proof stuff.

Deledrius wrote:The more we can get people to contribute to things like the wiki, the better off we'll all be. I'd love to be able to improve the wiki full time, finish the re-organization that Lyrositor started but didn't complete, and keep the articles updated for each new release of Korman, but I cannot. Previously Doobes was helping out as he found something was undocumented, but he too has been occupied elsewhere IRL.

OK I am inside the tent. Now its your choice either use me a a reviewer/editor or you keep trying to piss me off (guess what it's not going to happen) I will just keep asking till I understand and that will happen long before I get pissed. I mentioned further up this post I served 10 years in the UK Military (RAF). You have got to stop thinking about this as hand holding and start looking at it as constructive feedback working towards good Noob proof documentation.

Please stop thinking of me as someone outside the tent pissing in.

I spent weeks working on that dirtsand documentation so I do know how long it takes. I also know how to take questions and suggestions gracefully.

Now you have a choice either the Wiki is concise and well written a crafted finished piece or it is a "work in progress"

Am I outside the tent pissing in through the holes or inside the tent looking for damage repairing the seams.

Your Choice. ;)
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:17 am

Please Help.

Deledrius wrote:Are you using the full game export "Package Age" option in the World panel?

Sorry! looked still confused.

It may be some check box but I can't find one labelled "Package Age" or a drop down with that as an option.

I did see a new export option "Plasma Scripts .pak" I do not know what this is or how it is used and if or if this is not related I suspect not.
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:50 am

Based off your description above and your difficulties in getting journals to work, it appears that you are using the "old way" of exporting. A new method for managing Uru installs and exporting to it was added in Korman 0.07 and is documented here. It has changed slightly in Korman 0.08 in that you'll have to click on the wrench icon to be able to change the list. For technical reasons that I won't get in to, if you use the old "Export > Plasma Age (.age)" method, journal contents will not be exported.

The "Package Age" button generates a .zip file that you can use to share your age with anyone. You're probably looking for the "Export Age" button that allows you to export the age in one press of a button. I have attached a screenshot of the World panel to show the location of these items.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-03-27 09.24.23.png
Screenshot 2019-03-27 09.24.23.png (66.78 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby J'Kla » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks Hoikas. ;)
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:38 am

Please Help.

OK. I have managed to get some of this to work.

But I am having a couple of weird things some of which I have sorted.

Lets start with sorted stuff because it adds some background.

Export as MOUL working as I would hope. All ladders work and journals open as expected with content as expected.

Note: I moved all of my journals with Pedestals into one location for testing I made the books children of the pedestals they sit on this parenting stopped them working but they were fine once I broke the link (remembering to use the "keep the transformation" option)

Package Age MOUL Export working once I realized not choose Somename.age but let it use Somename.zip Doh!

Packet Age PotS as above. zip not age

Export Age PotS was failing until I created a sub-folder of my CC installation I am accessing with Drizzle called ageresources I found out about this when I looked into the Packed Age zip file. Now it exports without flagging errors but here is the weird part It is only exporting 4 of the journal text file entries (contents) and when I look in that ageresources folder those are the only four there. Now the ladders are working and the Journals are there but there is no hot spot indication for the ones with missing text.

I tried manually exporting that did not work.

Now my .blend file is the same source for both the MOUL and PotS export and looking at the book objects and the attached text files they all look identical in their setup.

I am finding it really odd that they all work for MOUL but not for PotS BTW its the same for Packet Age where there is only 4 text files in the zipped ageresources folder.

I have not added new book cover pictures or links to internal images (there are no internal ones yet) but the existing book covers that were setup the old way in the localization worked without effort on the MOUL export. Plus they are working fine for the 4 text files that are there for PotS and all of them work for MOUL.

I figure it has to be something I have done or have failed to do.

Does anyone have any ideas?

NOTE: This is not actually holding me up because my primary test environment is my home LAN dirtsand shard and the only reason for looking at the PotS export option is for export to Deep Island and to update My Drizzle entry

I am about to start looking at embedding images using the new method.

Plus the journals need some editing to add information about the Cuneiform stuff.

[Edit]
I have created a cut down age under 5Mb as a .blend I am going to also make a reduced Artwork folder to go with it to investigate this.

It is probably going to be handy if someone wants to look at it.

This is probably going to be useful for learning how to add linking books and adding images to books.

I have called it Yarbil and given it its own dedicated Sequence Prefix.

I am going to set it up so the .blend and artwork will be self contained to run from a USB stick
[/Edit]
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:34 am

If I'm reading your post correctly, there are two issues here.

1) Exporting to PotS fails if the "ageresources" directory does not exist.
2) You have some journals that are working in MOUL epxorts but not PotS exports.

Focusing on #2, how many journals are affected? There are some limitations as far as PotS journals are concerned, and it is possible Korman is rejecting them as invalid.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby J'Kla » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:If I'm reading your post correctly, there are two issues here.

1) Exporting to PotS fails if the "ageresources" directory does not exist.

Fixed by manually adding an "agerescorces" folder

Tsar Hoikas wrote:2) You have some journals that are working in MOUL epxorts but not PotS exports.

Focusing on #2, how many journals are affected? There are some limitations as far as PotS journals are concerned, and it is possible Korman is rejecting them as invalid.

Yes the strange thing is all of the text journals export fine if I am exporting MOUL format but only four if I am exporting PotS.

Yes there are a lot of journals at the moment 28.

I am about to start looking to see if the MOUL exports have completely exported it is going to take some checking it is over 126k words,

The ones that worked for PotS are the shorter ones.
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:25 pm

I would be interested in seeing the export log for your age. It should be found with the exported files named "{agename}_export.log"
Tsar Hoikas

PreviousNext

Return to Building