Tutorial and Information Requests

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tutorial and Information Requests

Postby Bookwyrm » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Ah, cubemaps must be what I was thinking about, then. I knew I'd seen shiny surfaces that weren't just flat specular across the board.

That does answer my question, thank you! :)
Bookwyrm

Postby J'Kla » Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 am

I am working on a Noob guide and that has caused me to revisit the Wiki.

My first question:

Is about Softvolumes is this just a sub-set of sound stuff or do they have other uses?

Second question:
Considering the piece on Korman Logic Nodes starts with.

NOTE: Due to a few changes in node structures, this tutorial is slightly out of date. It will be updated after the release of version 0.07 of Korman.

Also considering we are now well onto version 0.08 could it be a good time to revisit this.

I know I had a clickable that had a logic node set that worked under version 0.07 and the node stuff failed when I started using 0.08 I am still trying to work this out and good Wiki notes would probably help.

At the moment this is a low priority for me because I am involved in some hand to hand combat with lighting and journals but I can see Logic and Python nodes looming on the horizon.

I was just considering that I am reasonably familiar with Blender and I am looking to generate some hand-holding notes because I know how daunting Blender is for the Noob's and new blood in age writing has to be good for our community.
J'Kla

Postby Sirius » Sun May 05, 2019 4:37 am

J'Kla wrote:Is about Softvolumes is this just a sub-set of sound stuff or do they have other uses?

They can fade both lights and sounds. Imagine walking into a cave, a softvolume would be used to fade the directional light from the sun (because of Uru lacking real shadows), or to fade out an ambient sound to simulate occlusion. But I think that's all they do.

J'Kla wrote:I was just considering that I am reasonably familiar with Blender and I am looking to generate some hand-holding notes because I know how daunting Blender is for the Noob's and new blood in age writing has to be good for our community.

Having people experiment with our current tools is a good thing so I wish you the best of luck with that. All that Plasma stuff can be rather convoluted at times, but I'll do what I can to answer questions ! (assuming I know the answer and am not too busy with real life matters...)
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Back to the topic at hand: tutorials.

Doobes started working on a wiki page for using cameras in Korman. I finally got around to going in and expanding the details about each camera type and made available a sample blend of a functioning age with lots of example cameras. The link to that blend files is on the wiki page, so go read it ;). There's quite a bit of rough edges and still some information that could be added, but, otherwise, let us know what you think.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:39 am

Wow, nice work ! Documentation about cameras have always been lacking from what I remember. Proper camera setup really helps with navigating indoor Ages...
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 am

Yes , i am very happy with it! Thank you Hoikas and Doobes.

I can use it , because i am working on converting the Cathedral to Korman.
Its has lots of special animated Camera views, and an incredible amount of scripts for the doors and gates and the Gong"s Puzzle
and of coarse i hope to profit from all the new lightning possibilities.
I hope that Korman can handle all the prp' s without slowing down.
We will see .
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Deledrius » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 pm

dendwaler wrote:Yes , i am very happy with it! Thank you Hoikas and Doobes.

I can use it , because i am working on converting the Cathedral to Korman.
Its has lots of special animated Camera views, and an incredible amount of scripts for the doors and gates and the Gong"s Puzzle
and of coarse i hope to profit from all the new lightning possibilities.
I hope that Korman can handle all the prp' s without slowing down.
We will see .

That's great news! I really enjoyed playing through the Cathedral. I'd like to help out if I can.

I recall there were a few things, such as how the doors were handled, that were done less than optimally for Uru. If you're updating the Age, it would be the perfect time to streamline some of that and make it work more in line with how the game expects things to work. :D

Feel free to ask for assistance! And if you ever need live help, several of us are usually around in our GoW IRC channel ready to give advice and fix bugs!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby dendwaler » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:06 am

I'd like to help out if I can.

Thank you for this kind offer.
I will undoubtely will need some help.

I recall there were a few things, such as how the doors were handled, that were done less than optimally for Uru

Yes i am aware of that. Unfortunately thats for a reason.
In short . I had to find a solution on how to make conditional jumps
The long answer is:

Show Spoiler

it would be the perfect time to streamline some of that and make it work more in line with how the game expects things to work

thats why i am starting just now instead of earlier.
It would be great if Korman could provide a simple “if ---then else “ node.
And some variables then can be set to different values during puzzle solving.
I estimate this is a hell of a task to make.
But for the coder noobs like, me its nearly impossible to make puzzles without that.

And if you ever need live help, several of us are usually around in our GoW IRC channel ready to give advice and fix bugs!

Thanks again , i knew that this channel exists, but its my difficulties with following spoken english .
Not only the foreign language, but combined with my bad hearing its hard with all the different dialects.
or is it typing? sorry i never used it, so i don't know.
edit: found it!. i am connected using hexchat.

edit: looking into it again, i think that lots of the coding problems can be solved by using booleans.
i will try to do that once i am able to do exporting, which is still far away.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby J'Kla » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:18 am

As is usual for me I am returning to age building after a break so as such I as always need to re-train lol.

I went to the Wiki looking to do a refresher on clickables the Tutorial has stuff about updating from PyPRP which is fine if you have an original PyPRP

There is a section on setting up a new clickable which appears to concentrate on the siting behaviour

I have a previous blend file where I set up a clickable (I can't remember the process) that allowed me to access the "Avatar Customisation" what's more this clickable has a region but no empty.

Oddly it used to work but now on export I get the following message about

"Plasma Node Tree 'ClothingNodeTree' Node 'Region Trigger Settings': is not a valid node for this tree" Go Figure

I suppose I am looking for a simple tutorial that sets up some sort of object such that the created object is clickable and then the click activates one of four actions

1) It triggers an animation (moves some object of the age builders devising) or triggers one of the set animations like /dance or /sit.

2) It links the Avatar to some Game recognised age like your Personal Age or E'carna.

3) It links the Avatar to some age you have created or possibly a sub-world (I have yet to investigate sub-worlds).

4) It assigns a value to some objects attribute such that it changes appearance (color or texture) I have been considering using an empty with its x, y, z locations used to hold variables for use in game.

Like I say periodic training is one of my requirements /shrug
J'Kla

Postby ametist » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 am

JulyForToday created some demonstration ages https://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7170&hilit=Demonstration
that I think you would find useful. In the KormanClickables you will can see how to set up a linking book, a sitting behavior and animated buttons.
ametist

PreviousNext

Return to Building