3D printings

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

3D printings

Postby Hermanix » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi everybody Myst-URU fans! Do You know is somewhere 3D printings about Mys Ages? For instance Myst Island, Relto Island, Elodea Island and many others Ages. They would be fine to print!
Hermanix

Re: 3D printings

Postby dendwaler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 pm

You can find some goodies to print here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=my ... ac27879fe3
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Hermanix » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for links. I prefere for instance Relto island or perhanps Your Catedral. I cannot use Blender or AutoCAD, but I suppose, that somebody can make 3D usable .sli file from them...
Hermanix
Hermanix

Postby Aloys » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 am

Technically speaking that shouldn't be hard to do. I don't know specifically of a Blender SLI file exporter, but I wouldn't be surprised if one existed.

The problem is I'm just not sure if Cyan would be OK with posting the files publicly. Might run into some copyrights issues there.

Myself I'd love do make a really nice color printing of Myst island one of these days. But if you don't want to print it too big (say less than 30cm/ 1ft) it would need to be printed with a really high resolution to look good (many small details on this island). A little too expensive for me right now. I have an original 3D scene of it. (not somethin imported from Uru) when it's complete I'll open source it.
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:18 am

Distributing copyrighted 3D files publicly is a bad idea, so it's better to avoid it or do it in private.

Most Uru/MystV Ages can be imported in Blender using a PRP importer. As you feared, some knowledge of Blender is needed to make the meshes watertight so they can be printed correctly.
As for the export format, I don't think Blender can export to SLI, however it does export to STL, which can be plugged/converted to 3D printers.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:00 am

(Moving to "General Discussion", this has nothing to do with Deep Island.)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Sirius wrote:... some knowledge of Blender is needed to make the meshes watertight so they can be printed correctly.
Apparently *some* printers can handle non-watertight meshes just fine: Rand's models (the CYAN submissions in the Thingiverse link above) printed just fine for him, using whatever system he owns. And all his models are built from disconnected intersecting primary forms, not at all "watertight".

But Shapeways and many other printing outfits and devices do require meshes to be constructed with a seamless inside/outside wall. Like others, I've completely rebuilt several of Rand's models to be properly seamless, and will be doing more of them later this year.

Here are a couple versions of the MYST marker switch, the first - using Shapeways' high-detail plastic - has enough resolution to permit a moveable switch handle, and is intended for those who'd want to hand-paint their print. The second is Shapeways' much coarser-resolution sandstone material, which can be printed in full color. Two different sizes, two quite different files, for the two materials' very different minimum thicknesses and clearances.
MarkerSwitch_EmorHDP-W.png
MarkerSwitch_EmorHDP-W.png (87.2 KiB) Viewed 7015 times
MarkerSwitch_EmorSandstone-W.png
MarkerSwitch_EmorSandstone-W.png (118.73 KiB) Viewed 7015 times

Late last year I sent copies of both these prints to Cyan, along with a detailed note offering to help in setting them up with a Shapeways shop, so that Cyan could directly offer reliable prints to people who didn't want to make mistakes researching the means of getting things printed optimally. But - typical with Cyan - I got no response. Whatsoever.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 am

That's really nice. I'd love to see that high res one painted. Can I ask you how much it cost you for each?

But - typical with Cyan - I got no response. Whatsoever.

Yah, that's a recurrent thing with them. :) Don't give up though, send them a gently reminder (or two).
Aloys

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 am

Aloys wrote:That's really nice. I'd love to see that high res one painted. Can I ask you how much it cost you for each?
This was using Shapeways' second-highest-resolution material/process, and ran just under US$25 plus $5 shipping to my place.
Their ultra-high-res stuff adds about $18 to the cost.

The full-color sandstone version, a bit larger than the other, was just over $20. The one in the picture does NOT have their gloss overcoat applied, which ran an additional $12 - and was not worth it, IMO: you can apply a clear overcoat spray on your own, with better results I think, for far less.

Both models were pared down in thickness to keep material at minimum, but they're both pretty strong. These are really not bad prices for reliable results in any one-off manufacturing process, from my experience.

I'm currently midway through work on the rocketship, which will be a good bit larger and with more add-on parts as kit options: the interior controls and organ, sliding door, exterior tower area and possibly even an interior lighting kit. Bigger size = more material volume = more expensive. That's on hold while I'm doing some agebuilding, will pick up and finish it in June or July.

Yah, that's a recurrent thing with them. :) Don't give up though, send them a gently reminder (or two).
Thanks. A few months after sending, I did reach Cyan; upon direct questioning they did say they'd received the package.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:11 am

Hermanix wrote:Do You know is somewhere 3D printings about Mys Ages? For instance Myst Island...

To answer your original question Hermanix, the only one I know about was this gift from Rand Miller to his brother Robyn.

If you click on the image there, you can see the original, larger shot.
In that picture, you'll see the coarser Z-stepping common to many consumer-level 3D printers that use nylon and PLA filaments.
Naturally, a model that large will eat up a sizeable quantity of material, so as always you have to trade off quality against what you'd be willing to spend: a higher-res version of that from Shapeways would run about $100, I'd guess...IF it would fit their bounding box for the machine.

But, good luck in getting the .stl file for that model from Rand!
Emor D'ni Lap

Return to General Discussion