Press kit files

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Press kit files

Postby Sirius » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Hey guys. I recently acquired the following item after randomly browsing ebay...
Show Spoiler

Yup, that's an Uru press kit. Not sure on what occasions are those made and handed around, but since it's a nice looking box and must contain some juicy content, I figured I might snatch it - it wasn't particularly expensive and it's a rare item after all.

And yup, inside there is a CD with a bit of interesting stuff on it. Nothing groundbreaking, but there are some things I've never seen available elsewhere, not even on Chiso. Here is a list, with interesting items in bold:
Show Spoiler

And here it is, for your enjoyment. I left out the making of, trailer and ingame screenshots, since those take space and didn't include anything important IMHO. Enjoy ! :D

Also, do you think it's ok to post those on the MOULa forums and Reddit too ? Given how long these things have been around, I see no harm in making the whole set available online...
Sirius

Re: Press kit files

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Congrats! I saw when something like this got linked on facebook and said on IRC, "it would be nice to have an iso of that." Thanks for sharing!
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Sirius wrote:
  • The original Uru trailer in crappy quality (the one where you can see the Baron City Office mirror)

That office mirror! It haunts me! I have so many questions every time I think of it!

Sirius wrote:And here it is, for your enjoyment. I left out the making of, trailer and ingame screenshots, since those take space and didn't include anything important IMHO. Enjoy ! :D

Also, do you think it's ok to post those on the MOULa forums and Reddit too ? Given how long these things have been around, I see no harm in making the whole set available online...

Thanks, you are the best!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Chacal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:27 pm

My pleasure ! :)

Deledrius wrote:That office mirror! It haunts me! I have so many questions every time I think of it!

Maybe it's supposed to show the real personality of those standing in front of it. Maybe it reveals the vanity of the people who still walk D'ni, bare their soul for everyone to see what they are, and what their fate in D'ni upcoming re(de)construction will be. Who knows.
Or maybe it was just a cool feature that was deemed ultimately too graphic intensive and scrapped. Until dynamic cam maps made their glorious return in Myst V.
Sigh... If it were only this mirror, but there is so much unused cool stuff in Uru.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Sirius wrote:Or maybe it was just a cool feature that was deemed ultimately too graphic intensive and scrapped. Until dynamic cam maps made their glorious return in Myst V.
Sigh... If it were only this mirror, but there is so much unused cool stuff in Uru.

I have... suspicions that it's not a reflection at all, but a very clever technical illusion. The evidence for this guess is circumstantial at best. It's such a tiny, inconsequential thing, but for some reason it has me fascinated and I want to know its history. Why was it there, how did it work, and why was it scrapped? Was that room originally something else completely?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:18 am

Deledrius wrote:I have... suspicions that it's not a reflection at all, but a very clever technical illusion.

Ah, that makes sense, given there was a whole Guild dedicated to illusions. I didn't think about that.
Wait... Oh damn, I rewatched this part of the video, and there IS something that supports this theory if you pay attention. It could just be a weird detail, but I doubt so. I won't spoil the fun just yet, in case you or someone else wants to go have a look ;)

On a semi-related note, I always wondered about the three concept arts of the exterior of Katha Island (one being in D'ni, and the other two outside). This might just be Cyan trying different designs, but what if the Katha House existed in two or three different Ages ? Similar to how the Myst Spaceship was built in both Myst and Selenictic. Then visitors linked into the house of one or another Age depending on what their status/business was, tricking them into thinking they were still in D'ni. Given that it was the house of illusions and later used by the Relyhima, that wouldn't be entirely out of character. Hmm, although that's assuming there are no windows showing the outside of the house, OR some clever trick to hide the sky when seen from the inside of the house, so go figure. That would be a fun twist IMHO.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:20 am

I've had one of those for years, they were issued by Ubisoft at the time when I was there, but I was always hesitant posting the files online. Guess that's a decision I don't have to make anymore. :p (in fact I hadn't looked at these files in years; mostly due to the fact that I haven't had a proper CD player plugged in a computer in years...)

Chiso

What's Chiso? :?:
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 am

A website which hosts all the Uru concept arts Cyan released. Here. There is a LOT of stuff in it, including pictures of Cyan's unreleased Ages like Kahlo.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 am

Right.. I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Aloys

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion