Deep Island on Mac OS Catalina

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Deep Island on Mac OS Catalina

Postby boblishman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Here's a link to the other icons ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Ainia » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Shorah Bob,

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "the bottle popups also included the option to run anyway"

Originally when running the DI bottle, when it tried to run both msvcp60.dll and Uru.exe, it would pop up a message with the two options of "Cancel" or "Move to Trash". Hitting "Cancel" allowed the bottle to continue trying to run (but apparently skipped running the specified file). After authenticating these two files from the Security and Privacy app (as described in my earlier post), the DI bottle popups now had a third option, "Run Anyway" (or something similar).

Basically, going through the exercise with the Security and Privacy app provided me with a new option when running these "suspect" files directly through the bottle.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am

I have added new icons to the link above for NexusDemo, Hector Cove and DIRT-Descent ...

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 18.42.47.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 18.42.47.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 6966 times
boblishman

Postby Ainia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Shorah again Bob,

Ok, here's what I've learned so far (using Crossover 19 and the GOG version of Uru: Complete Chronicles):

All bottle versions except Windows 10 don't install DirectX correctly (throw error messages)
    A Windows 10 bottle works fine on the first run; I can log into the DI shard and visit Ages
    I still cannot login successfully after that, it just gets stuck at the screen below
    Running the Wine Configuration app and changing Uru.exe to run as Windows 7 hasn't helped.

DI Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 3.59.00 PM.png
DI Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 3.59.00 PM.png (637.99 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby boblishman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi Ainia,

My Complete Chronicles works fine, I even have Drizzle working and downloading fan Ages.

However, as you can see, my bottle is an XP bottle... with no changes to the Wine configuration.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 20.26.33.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 20.26.33.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 6913 times

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 20.29.46.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 20.29.46.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 6913 times

My guess is this is one of two things:

a) my copy of GOG CC is a different version to yours. Mine is dated 2/6/2014

or

b) your Security settings are preventing DirectX 9 from installing correctly.

Also, today I got the TOC-MOULa shard working by running the "Repair" exe from inside the bottle. It downloaded about 500MB of files but now I no longer get a stack dump.
boblishman

Postby Ainia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Ok, this is weird (I think), but it's worked twice so far.

When I start the Deep Island bottle and also open the Security & Privacy app, the non-responsive screen (from prior post) immediately changes to the shard screen when I click on/activate the Security & Privacy app screen. It's as if the Catalina gatekeeper needs a kick in the head to remember that I authorized the executables already.

I'll keep testing and let you know if I learn anything further.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Ainia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 pm

I've documented everything in a separate PDF document and put it into Dropbox. Let me know if you have trouble with the link.

I will update the document as I learn more.

Also, please feel free to let me know if there are mistakes or if I should add more information.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby boblishman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 am

That's an impressive tutorial Ainia!

There's two things I've noticed/learned from it:

1) Your newly downloaded version of GoG CC is not the same as my old GoG version - which is from 2014!
Yours has two executables whereas mine has a single installation exe.
This makes me think that your newer version has a more up-to-date version of Direct X which is only comparable with a Crossover Windows 10 bottle, whereas mine must be an older DirectX version which works fine with the standard CrossOver Windows XP bottle.

2) Catalina Security is over-zealous, to put it mildly.

Whilst I appreciate that not everyone will want to turn off Gatekeeper to install the various shards, I think it's worth considering JUST for the duration of installing it/them.

I have tested my DI install AFTER re-enabling Gatekeeper and it still works.

Bearing this in mind, once a shard has been installed (from a known, reliable source) you can re-enable Gatekeeper to return your machine to "full protection" whilst still being able to play the shard(s) and without all the annoying problems you have encountered trying to install with Gatekeeper enabled.

Obviously this is down to personal choice, and your very detailed tutorial will help those who are reluctant to disable Gatekeeper and I'm grateful for all the work you have done in order to make it. Thank You.

To those Mac users out there - without the patience to by-pass the Gatekeeper problems outlined in Ainia's tutorial during the DI install - I would say think about disabling Gatekeeper for the duration of a shard install and then re-enable it again afterwards. It might save you a lot of time.
boblishman

Postby Ainia » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 am

Shorah again Bob,

I agree, I think my GOG hotfix version was to make it compatible with Win10.

I’m finding all the gatekeeper workarounds to be unreliable in the end. For the last two days, my logins have gotten stuck without fail. :-)

Your test with the gatekeeper is very helpful! I’ll see if I can dig up an older download of UruCC on one of my old hard drives and try using a WinXP bottle. I’d like to sort out the difference between the GOG versions and the differences between bypassing the gatekeeper (as you have done) and creating gatekeeper exceptions.

All of which means another long round of testing this weekend. ;-)
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 pm

Ainia wrote:I agree, I think my GOG hotfix version was to make it compatible with Win10.

Was that the beta release which fixes the mouse cursor, among other things? That was last year, so that's probably it if the date matches.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island