Gehn.27 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Gehn.27 Live!

Postby Acorn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:26 am

Deledrius wrote:
jamie_marchant wrote:
jamie_marchant wrote:Feel free to give long descriptions of how you solve programming problems anytime Hoikas, do you have a H-URU dev blog?

It might not be a terrible idea if we formalized that a tiny bit and wrote something like this from time-to-time! Do you think there's much of an audience for it?

:geek: yes, go for it!
Acorn

Postby darkwingduck » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:55 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Darkwing, Dulcamara... I have looked at your logs. The crash is leading back into opus audio. I may be able to fix this by rebuilding opus and the game client. Before I do that, however, can you tell me the model of your computer's CPU? If you don't know how to find this information, you can use CPU-Z. I attached a screenshot of what that looks like for me. I am interested in the "Name" section ("Intel Core i7 4770K").

The attachment Screenshot 2020-02-28 13.16.49.png is no longer available

Charura wrote:no matches found in my whole computer?

You need to paste into the address bar, not the search bar.
Attachments
cpuz.jpg
cpuz.jpg (88.68 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
darkwingduck

Postby darkwingduck » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:57 am

darkwingduck wrote:
Tsar Hoikas wrote:Darkwing, Dulcamara... I have looked at your logs. The crash is leading back into opus audio. I may be able to fix this by rebuilding opus and the game client. Before I do that, however, can you tell me the model of your computer's CPU? If you don't know how to find this information, you can use CPU-Z. I attached a screenshot of what that looks like for me. I am interested in the "Name" section ("Intel Core i7 4770K").

Screenshot 2020-02-28 13.16.49.png

Charura wrote:no matches found in my whole computer?

You need to paste into the address bar, not the search bar.

super old cpu but it works like a boss lol
darkwingduck

Postby darkwingduck » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:20 am

just a quick update: I don't know what you did tsar hoikas but it worked I can play gehn shard now …. this duck is happy:)
darkwingduck

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:58 am

darkwingduck wrote:I don't know what you did tsar hoikas but it worked

Psst, he explained on the previous page... ;)

Unfortunately, no one beta testing this release had an old enough computer to catch this little bug!

Glad it's working for you now. Hopefully that's a good sign for the rest of the folks in this thread having this problem!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Dulcamara » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:04 am

What will i say: "I AM IN" :-)

Thanks for the great support. Tsar Hoikas, Delderius and Doobes. I hope i do not forget some one

It is really very interesting to read how you approached things Tsar Hoikas. Even if I don't understand very much about it.

Now i can take a look at all your work. I am sure, it will be great. :-)
Dulcamara

Postby Doobes » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 am

Deledrius wrote:It might not be a terrible idea if we formalized that a tiny bit and wrote something like this from time-to-time! Do you think there's much of an audience for it?

I like the idea. It may interest and lure in some programmers lurking about and, most importantly, be a great chance for programmers to vent. :D

Plus, it could show exactly how much thought and work (and headaches) go into URU "behind the scenes", which is really not noticed and recognized as much as it should be, IMHO.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:15 am

I'm glad to hear it's working for you guys!

Deledrius wrote:Unfortunately, no one beta testing this release had an old enough computer to catch this little bug!

In my research, I did find a way to disable AVX in Windows. But, uh, I'm not disabling AVX on my PC :lol:.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:54 am

I definitely enjoy this type of read from time to time :) As a programmer, it's always nice to learn about issues other people run into.
While I understand all Hoikas wrote, I definitely would not have been able to troubleshoot it :D I'm glad most of the time I can work with languages that are executed by a VM of some kind and make abstraction of the CPU my code is executed on. I'm not sure I could survive without all the handholding modern languages and IDEs have spoiled me with...

Doobes wrote:Plus, it could show exactly how much thought and work (and headaches) go into URU "behind the scenes", which is really not noticed and recognized as much as it should be, IMHO.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's cool when an unexpected release sneaks up on you, but it's also fun and motivating to hear about others making day-to-day progress on various projects.

Deledrius wrote:I don't think so, just what we post here. In theory we could post these things in the Development Journals, but those seem to be mostly unused these days. Paradox has a blog where he posts his Uru development thoughts.

I like the idea of those development journals, but honestly it's a bit hard to remember (or even be aware of) all the different forums/websites/etc around here. That's probably why they aren't used more.
I myself check at different frequencies the Myst subreddit, the GoW, MOULa (until recently), OpenURU, two Facebook pages, one blog, the GoME and D'ni Jazz Club. And I still have the links to a few abandoned blogs.
Fortunately Korovev pointed out most of those support RSS which makes following all those at the same time much simpler :P but information is still spread out quite thin. Just yesterday, someone was asking on Reddit what the hell Gehn Shard was, and it seems lots of people never heard about the GoW or fan-Ages.
Sirius

Postby darkwingduck » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 am

Deledrius wrote:
darkwingduck wrote:I don't know what you did tsar hoikas but it worked

Psst, he explained on the previous page... ;)

Unfortunately, no one beta testing this release had an old enough computer to catch this little bug!

Glad it's working for you now. Hopefully that's a good sign for the rest of the folks in this thread having this problem!

that's why i used a workstation made in 2012 lol ... maybe the trick when testing for bugs is to find a really old pc with outdated software, hardware and operating systems ;) ... just not windows xp , now that's just looking for trouble :lol: .
but thank you all for the great support, where would we be without you
darkwingduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard