How's the corona virus situation in your area?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

How's the corona virus situation in your area?

Postby Aloys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 pm

I know it's kinda random and way off topic, but what's it like for you where you are?
I'm in France, in Paris, and over just a couple days the situation has gone pretty bad: most shops are forced to close down, companies are asking people to work from home whenever possible, streets are emptying, people wearing masks.. That's all people talk about. Some are getting paranoid, whenere some in the street is coughing every turns around to stare and walks away. The vibe around here is just getting weird..
I've been working from home for the last couple days and I'll be staying there for the next week. Which gets lonely after a while.

How is it for you where you live? Do you know any people that are affected by this?
Aloys

Re: How's the corona virus situation in your area?

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Same country, but further southwest...

Can confirm, most people are getting paranoid. We're all fed up of hearing about it, yet we keep talking about it. I'm under the impression lots of people fail to realize the flu and car crashes both kill waaaayyy more people each year, and it's also not a big threat if you're in good health. With that said, being cautious is good - it's still quite dangerous to elder people, and the hospitals are having a very bad time currently (French hospitals are always understaffed anyway).

What else... Well, a lot of snake-oil vendors start appearing out of nowhere, selling "cleaning clothes for iPhones screens that protect against coronavirus, 90€ the piece"... Yeah right. Hopefully no one is gullible enough to buy one of those.

Also, due to the virus, the whole French population forgot all about protesting against the recent law lowering retirement pay. Quite typical here, the best time for voting laws is when everyone is focused elsewhere, heh.

Oh well... It will calm down eventually. However it really sucks for the shops which are forced to close, I really sympathize with those people as they have the worse position...

Aloys wrote:I've been working from home for the last couple days and I'll be staying there for the next week. Which gets lonely after a while.

Personally I'm still going to my office, me and my coworkers aren't particularly worried about the virus. But I can guess being stuck alone at home can get annoying in the long run :| ... It's a good thing most people can work from home, and we still have the Internet as distraction.
Sirius

Postby Théodore » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 am

In Canada, we are a federal state, so each province passes their own laws. In Quebec, we are at the point where everything is closed. No more entertainment whatsoever. We are forced to do telework by my employer, which I already do part time but now it is full time. Groceries lack non perishable food and toilet papers! Unbeknownst to many [please keep it quiet, don't tell anyone...] we are the first producer of toilet papers in the world! I guess the panic got the best of us. The only place still open are restaurants but they have to keep empty tables around a full table meaning more or less running at 50% capacity. Gyms, sport centres, bingos, bars, schools, universities, kindergardens are closed, any places were there could be gatherings in fact.

On the other side of the river, in Ontario, things are less "intense". Quebec is known to be the troublemaker or the classe à part in the federation. :lol:

I survived a cold in January (which is a coronavirus), I'm sure I can handle the covid19 if it shows at my doorstep!
Théodore

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:52 am

I live in Quebec too. Hopefully we have acted in time to prevent exponential growth and flatten the sickness curve. Italy demonstrates what happens when you don't.
I wouldn't want to live in the USA right now.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Théodore wrote:In Quebec (...) we are the first producer of toilet papers in the world!

:lol: Well, I did not know that.

I don't understand what is it with people buying tons of toilet paper? Food I can understand, but toilet paper? Do these guys believe the virus spreads to the intestine?

I wouldn't want to live in the USA right now.

Yeah. The optimistic in me would like to believe that this crisis will push them to act on their lack of health care system but yet.. not gonna happen...
Aloys

Postby Ehren » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 am

Aloys wrote:Yeah. The optimistic in me would like to believe that this crisis will push them to act on their lack of health care system but yet.. not gonna happen...

Health insurance is sooooo great in the USA! They'll even pay to get you four whole pills of the medications you need, WOW!
Ehren

Postby Sirius » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 am

Ehren wrote:Health insurance is sooooo great in the USA! They'll even pay to get you four whole pills of the medications you need, WOW!

Wow indeed ! Do they bring you a glass of water to make swallowing those pills easier, or do you have to pay for it ? :lol:
Seriously though, given that a single day in intensive healthcare can cost several thousands euros here, I'm sure glad we have health insurance... The downside like I said, is that hospitals are seriously understaffed - which leads to the staff making big mistakes, forgetting to take care of patients, no emotional support, etc. Still better than no healthcare at all though :|

Aloys wrote:I don't understand what is it with people buying tons of toilet paper? Food I can understand, but toilet paper? Do these guys believe the virus spreads to the intestine?

Hell if I know - it's not like your life depends on toilet paper either. But somehow it's becoming as valuable as food these days :lol:

Oh, and apparently, now in France you need to print an authorization template each time you go out, and fill out yourself the date and reason you're going out, in case of police control. Yep, this means you need to self-sign an authorization to allow yourself to go out, or you will be fined in case the police gets you.
I don't know what to think about it. They really take people for retards or what ? This is bullshit bureaucracy. Yet it's so stupidly annoying that it WILL deter people from going outside. So... I guess if it's stupid but it works it's a good idea ? ROTFL.

Oh well. Anyway, since the whole country decided to go into hibernation, I'm soon going to run out of things to do for work.
And since there are no reasons to go out anymore, and nothing better to do indoors... Hopefully this means I'll get to spend more time on doing Uru-related stuff ! So the situation could be much worse :D
Sirius

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Yes, with the self-quarantining I've been getting a lot more agebuilding accomplished lately. Also, it's been raining and chilly here, and likely to remain that way through the next week or so.

In the evenings, after being cooped up all day, I've taken to putting on my trenchcoat and fedora. With restaurants and bars closed everywhere, I go roaming the barren streets at midnight. Not kidding.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby Chuckles58 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:29 pm

I live in the country and drive in to Dallas, TX most work days. We still have our 3 person CPA firm open, doing income taxes. At most we have 3-6 customers come in per day, but staggered throughout the day. We are keeping an eye on things. They just ordered bars and restaurants to only serve take out or drive through (from bars, really?) If the county, or the state of Texas requires "non-essential" businesses to close for 2-3 weeks, then we'll work from home. So far, not too many cases in Texas, but we expect it to spread everywhere due to the free flow of people prior to this getting to "Panic Mode". We'll make it through, and the US will get its economy back to booming. I agree, why the TP hoarding?
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby Théodore » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Chuckles58 wrote:why the TP hoarding?
It is psychological! It is the one item everyone use everyday.

We don't use bidet in North America. In your local hardware depot, you can find the necessary material to make one. We don't even need an extra furniture in our bathrooms, it is self-contained within the toilet seat. I think it is only a cultural thing, I wouldn't like to receive water up there, so we stick with TP!
Théodore

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion