Korman: Ladder down region and blender ssue

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Korman: Ladder down region and blender ssue

Postby ametist » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:08 am

I used the ladder tool - very nice indeed! - but the down region wont let the avatar go out from it. After climing down, the avatar turns around and start climbing up again as soon I click with the mouse to go out from the ladder region. I have tried with adding a fixed camera that looks at the avatar from a distance but that doesnt help. I also put a collider on the back region, no change. So what am I missing? The up region does not behave like that?
I can walk out if I use the Arrow keys and walk to the left or right though.
ametist

Re: Korman: Ladder down region and blender ssue

Postby Doobes » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Could you post a screenshot of the ladder modifier on the down region so we can see the settings? We can probably start to troubleshoot there.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby ametist » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:44 am

Thanks Doobes!
I have not changed any settings at all, as you can see in the screenshots. The 'blender issue' I wrote in the title on this post prevents me from changing anything , if I do blender just quits. That issue came after I first added a Plasma-Ladder from the 'Add'. Blender now does it for everything I add. I havent tried to uninstall and reinstall yet, guess it would be the first thing to try. I didnt do that before I wrote the post so I didnt take that up yesterday.
Attachments
LadderEntryUp.jpg
LadderEntryUp.jpg (90.22 KiB) Viewed 6802 times
LadderEntryDown.jpg
LadderEntryDown.jpg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 6802 times
ametist

Postby Doobes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 am

ametist wrote:The 'blender issue' I wrote in the title on this post prevents me from changing anything , if I do blender just quits. That issue came after I first added a Plasma-Ladder from the 'Add'. Blender now does it for everything I add.

Yeah, if Blender is being glitchy, that could be affecting Korman as well, I'd reinstall the former, then the latter, then try again.

I just tried adding a new ladder myself and Blender isn't crashing. I haven't exported it yet, but Blender behaves normally and allows me to add and change things.

EDIT: I just tried exporting a ladder and everything works fine. I put 2 loops on both ladder entries (up and down). If the default settings don't work, maybe try that next?

EDIT 2: Here's my blend, in case you want to see my work. It's essentially the same default ladder too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9077bo5cu7p3 ... blend?dl=0
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby ametist » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks again Doobes! I downloaded your .blend file and looked at the ladder. I tested to add another ladder from the add menu, and changed the settings. It all worked fine, as expected. So it must be my own .blend file I have corrupted in some weird way :shock:
Nevertheless, I uninstalled blender 2.79b, installed it again and installed Korman as per instructions. Same thing happened - your file works fine, mine doesnt. Sigh. What I have built works fine in offline URU, except from the ladder ;) , so I will finish this build, it is almost finished - without ladders though :roll:
ametist

Postby Chacal » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:49 pm

ametist wrote:What I have built works fine in offline URU, except from the ladder, so I will finish this build, it is almost finished - without ladders though

So it's a better version?
:D

May I suggest stairs?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:00 am

Admit it Chacal. At some point in your life, you fell from a ladder and broke a leg :lol:

To be fair, in older Ages exported with PyPRP, ladders were better than stairs due to the wonky collisions. Nowadays stairs are fine :P
Sirius

Postby Chacal » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 am

Let's put it this way, in real life I climb stairs 10 times a day, and ladders 10 times a year.
:)

I vaguely remember the collision problem, but I think a single sloped collider works very well. I used this in a few places with good results with Plasma and Unity.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Deledrius » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Sirius wrote:Admit it Chacal. At some point in your life, you fell from a ladder and broke a leg

Or else just has climbed one ladder too many (read: two) in Uru. :p
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Scripting