Dirtsand on a VPS

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Dirtsand on a VPS

Postby Surta » Fri May 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Ahh ok, I changed that to Release but alas, now I'm getting a list of 12 errors and 70 warnings... I don't know how to copy those so let me try to add a screenshot:

Errors.jpg
Errors.jpg (162.2 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

Still, progress, right? :lol:
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri May 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Those are weird. We've just bumped the compiler requirement to Visual Studio C++ 2017 and updated the build environment. Can you try updating Visual Studio, rerunning prepare_env.bat, and rebuilding?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Surta » Sat May 02, 2020 10:15 am

Thanks, I installed Visual Studio 2017 (with C++ enabled) and recloned Plasma just in case. Now, when I run the batch file, it halts with the message

Show Spoiler

I guess I need to install a CURLConfig module?
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 02, 2020 1:51 pm

This looks like something we need to sort out with the devlibs bundle--hang tight.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Surta » Sat May 02, 2020 6:20 pm

Will do! Meanwhile, I have a question about the server part... not at all important but I'm sure it's easy to resolve. Currently I have all my eggs in one basket, both the server software itself and the game download data (the files I created using your manifest script).

The dirtsand.ini file reads

Code: Select all
File.Host = 123.45.67.89
Auth.Host = 123.45.67.89
Game.Host = 123.45.67.89
File.Root = /somefolder/data
Auth.Root = /somefolder/authdata
Sdl.Path = /somefolder/SDL
Age.Path = /somefolder/ages

However, I'd love to host the manifest ages on an external web host. So I uploaded the game data to my external site, and changed the dirtsand.ini file to:

File.Host = 123.45.67.89
Auth.Host = 123.45.67.89
Game.Host = https://uru.mydomain
File.Root = /data
Auth.Root = /somefolder/authdata
Sdl.Path = /somefolder/SDL
Age.Path = /somefolder/SDL

I verified that https://uru.mydomain/data contains the correct files... yet when I start the client, it errors out with
[File] 987.65.43.21/61261 requested invalid manifest /data/ExternalPatcher.mfs

Again, I verified that https://uru.mydomain/data/ExternalPatcher.mfs is fully accessible, so again I assume I made an error somewhere :)

Is this an easy fix or would you suggest I wait till I get this client going properly?
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 02, 2020 6:22 pm

Sadly, the game does not support downloading files from HTTP/HTTPS sources. For now, you'll need to use the file server in DirtSand.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Surta » Sat May 02, 2020 6:24 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh ok, well that settles that! It would have made troubleshooting a little easier (start a second server and get it going in minutes, without the data uploads), but it makes sense. I'll continue to rebuild on the one instance :D
Surta

Postby Sirius » Sun May 03, 2020 3:50 pm

I used CMake to setup a couple of C++ project in the past, and while it's great when it works, I know how painful it can be to debug when something is wrongly configured.

My point is, hats off to anyone who goes through this. That's all I wanted to say. Cheers ! :)
Sirius

Postby Surta » Sun May 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Yeah, I'm very grateful for the patience that has been shown to me :) I jumped into this project knowing... nothing... really. I still don't but at least I can find my way around Linux now and follow instructions - to the point of having a full blown working server. Especially with the updated instructions that literally takes minutes to build from scratch now. Of course the problem that arose after that was the fact that neither of the two existing clients play nice with it, so here I am starting a new project yet AGAIN to see if I can get that to work correctly.

So my hat's off as well to the boys here who probably have been living and breathing code for the past 16 years and still willing to kindly help a noobie. Truth be told I basically have no idea what I'm doing (I wouldn't know C++ from Cmake) but having fun doing it, haha. I am definitely grateful for the help so far and I really hope that someday I can get this thing off the ground... if for no other reason than bragging rights :D
Surta

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 am

While we wait for an official solution, I would try copying the "lib" directory into a new directory called "debug" in the dev libs. I have no idea where these are stored though...
Tsar Hoikas

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development