Female Avatar Clothes ?

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Female Avatar Clothes ?

Postby FrostedObsidian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Just wondering if anyone's ever thought of scripting in a skirt for the female wardrobe ?
I tried to make a female gypsy avatar, but it doesn't work well with only pant options.

It's not worth much trouble since it has no effect on game play or story line, but it was a stray thought, and I can't figure out how to create a forum account on the regular shard, so I thought I'd mention it.
FrostedObsidian

Re: Female Avatar Clothes ?

Postby Sirius » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 am

The reason Uru doesn't have skirts, is because they would look fairly bad :lol: The engine can't properly "simulate" loose pieces of clothing like skirts. They would just deform in a weird way around the avatar's legs, instead of having a more natural movement like you would see in more modern games with proper cloth physics.

On top of that, our current tools unfortunately don't allow creating custom clothing for avatars.
Korman (the plugin to create and export new Ages to Uru) is being actively worked on, and should support exporting clothing eventually. It's not a big priority, but Korman is improving fast, so it should be available at some point.
I know I would love to try my hand at creating custom pieces of clothing once it's possible... The ones currently available in the game did NOT age well, and avatar customization as a whole is fairly poor.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:51 pm

FrostedObsidian wrote:Just wondering if anyone's ever thought of scripting in a skirt for the female wardrobe ?
I tried to make a female gypsy avatar, but it doesn't work well with only pant options.

It's not worth much trouble since it has no effect on game play or story line, but it was a stray thought, and I can't figure out how to create a forum account on the regular shard, so I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the forum! I'd love to see more options, too. It's still a bit difficult at the moment, but hopefully it will be possible in the future.

Sirius wrote:The reason Uru doesn't have skirts, is because they would look fairly bad :lol: The engine can't properly "simulate" loose pieces of clothing like skirts. They would just deform in a weird way around the avatar's legs, instead of having a more natural movement like you would see in more modern games with proper cloth physics.

Honestly, even a lot of modern games still steer clear of draping cloth. It often looks terrible. There are ways to make it look fairly decent, especially since in Uru every animation is entirely hand-made, and some types of skirt aren't "flowy" enough to challenge that. It would be doable, if only someone were to make it (and do a good job). Currently, it would need to be done in 3DS Max using the legacy content plugin.

Before things got sidetracked, I was working on Yet Another Attempt to convert Uru to a more modern physics engines, and most of them include some decent cloth sims we could take advantage of (I hope). Perhaps...

Sirius wrote:The ones currently available in the game did NOT age well, and avatar customization as a whole is fairly poor.

Someday, a City of Heroes-level of staggering customization. This is a goal I have but without any idea how to get there. :p
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:42 am

Deledrius wrote:some types of skirt aren't "flowy" enough to challenge that. It would be doable, if only someone were to make it (and do a good job).

I had more in mind longer skirts and robes which would be difficult, but indeed if they aren't overly long, that could be made to look ok.

Deledrius wrote:Someday, a City of Heroes-level of staggering customization. This is a goal I have but without any idea how to get there. :p

Just had a look, it's impressive indeed ! I think the superhero context helps in that regard though - the flashy colors, lighter/heavier avatar builds and costumes help bring a lot of diversity, I guess. And the insane amount of different textures for each model :lol:
On the other hand, Uru contains mostly fairly common modern clothes, with very few D'ni-ish outfits. I'm curious what type of new outfits could be added, since you can't really have helmets, pauldrons, greaves or the like.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Sirius wrote:
Deledrius wrote:Someday, a City of Heroes-level of staggering customization. This is a goal I have but without any idea how to get there. :p

Just had a look, it's impressive indeed ! I think the superhero context helps in that regard though - the flashy colors, lighter/heavier avatar builds and costumes help bring a lot of diversity, I guess. And the insane amount of different textures for each model :lol:
On the other hand, Uru contains mostly fairly common modern clothes, with very few D'ni-ish outfits. I'm curious what type of new outfits could be added, since you can't really have helmets, pauldrons, greaves or the like.

I meant more on the technical way it was implemented, and how that allowed for a large variety of combinations. The way Uru does it now is very limited and hard to extend. CoH made a big mess out of things eventually, but for the first several years it was brilliant in this regard, and I still haven't seen anything come close.

Yeah, there were some things that helped them cheat, though, like being superhero outfits (and both being 2003 games, a lot was done in textures and not unique models).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby FrostedObsidian » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Wow, thanks for the response ! I didn't expect much comment, but really, thanks for the explanation.

I figured it would be challenging, and I also realize avatar customization is completely secondary. I don't know a whole lot about engines or servers, etc., but I know that Myst Online doesn't run right on my laptop, but Gehn Shard works great. And that's the main thing. Still, I appreciate the feedback !

And thanks for the warm welcome ! :)
FrostedObsidian

Postby Bearcattony00 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Yeah I wish there can be tank top, camis, tube tops, or polos for female avatar options.
Bearcattony00

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm

FrostedObsidian wrote:I figured it would be challenging, and I also realize avatar customization is completely secondary.
You're so right on both counts, F.O.!
If you want to get some notion of just how challenging that process is, you can read the original documentation by Mark Stenersen, Cyan's avatar lead, who still maintains it on his site: https://msteno.com/lib/resume/cyan/avatar-documentation.pdf. (of course this covers many aspects of the avatar tech, not just clothing items)
Just as you say, most of those who are doing agebuilding don't have the time to devote to gaining expertise in this process. And there's always the fear that they'd become the go-to person for any demands for new accessories! :lol:
Emor D'ni Lap

Return to Art and Story