Updating the lower shelf in Relto

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Updating the lower shelf in Relto

Postby Dulcamara » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 pm

[Book]
cover:green
text:Puzzle Ages vol I,Ages by Melvin and by Dulcamara.

It would be more logical to start with Elodea and the 3 Underworlds first. Because the story of Alabaster begins with a puzzle and a journal from Elodea. Otherwise I have no objection to the order :-)
Dulcamara

Postby diafero » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:14 am

The idea was to have the first chapter of each series at the top. If grouping them by series is less confusing, I’d put the more recent series first, with the suggested internal order, i.e.:

Yeah I think that would be better.

Personally I’m a fan of hub areas like Toroolbah, which with one book allow access to a few more. I can’t reveal more ;) but I know one Writer is planning to create such an area, so the three volumes may need a reshuffle in the future.

Well, you have a "hub age" book... but once there's a puzzle age with a hub, we'll have a problem as it would belong into two books. ;)

Yes, the ‘giant board games’ book is the one I was more uncertain about; it’s neat to have them in one place, but as far as I know they’re not particularly popular, so it could be removed for an additional “auto” spot.

That, or another puzzle age book -- or we make it auto now and change it to a static book if/when more ages arrive.^^

For the other book I couldn’t find a title, since Crowthistle isn’t the only possible addon. Other ideas I had are “Imported Ages” or “Cyan Ages”, but neither is completely satisfying. “Speakeasy Ages”?

"Cyan non-Uru ages"? ;) Or "Cyan Games" or "Cyan Game Ages" or so.

Question time: what’s the difference between “age:” and “link:”? Are there other useful tags other than “cover:”, “text:”, “age:”, “link:”?

Uff, I should have written documentation 12 years ago when I still knew the answer to these questions. ;) I wrote some docs but they do not answer this question.

The source code for this starts here. So looks like "link:" is the old way, but since the Offline KI actually knows the proper name and description for each age file, it seemed redundant to have to repeat that in the ULM file, so I added "age:" where you just give the file name and the Offline KI reads the rest from "img\AgeInfo", and the full-name and description in "link:" are just ignored. (The ULM file format predates "img\AgeInfo".)

Also looks like your list of tags is complete. :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Korovev » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:01 am

The “text:” field has neat hidden features, it accepts “\n” as a return and converts semicolons in commas :)

I’ve added a few spoiler warnings in the puzzle books. New entries: Tovaht and Tiam. The new shelf can be tested offline by creating a ULMLinkBook.inf text file (better back up the existing one) and copying the text under “current revision”.

Perhaps we could give this thread a week or two more and, if no one has any further objections, proceed with the change?
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Théodore » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Thank you for your commitment Korovev!

I was wondering for the New Age Project, it seems there's a missing age, Cholanay. Are you excluding it on the same basis as, let's say, Ruins of Azmar; on the fact that one must solve the other ages in order to be able to reach those ages?

Also, I noticed you named Melvin's group of ages "The Ruins of Azmar" but I think their name is "The Lost Path Ages" of which "Ruins of Azmar" is the 4th age. It might be "Path Of The Lost Ages" as indicated in the UAM in Drizzle.
Théodore

Postby Korovev » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Théodore wrote:I was wondering for the New Age Project, it seems there's a missing age, Cholanay. Are you excluding it on the same basis as, let's say, Ruins of Azmar; on the fact that one must solve the other ages in order to be able to reach those ages?

Yes, and in fact I just noticed that along with Cholanay, Argosy and Giloto are also missing from the Nexus, so I now think Laki’anay should be the only Age available. I’ve sent a PM to Jaruku and Rocketdog, but they haven’t answered yet.

Théodore wrote:Also, I noticed you named Melvin's group of ages "The Ruins of Azmar" but I think their name is "The Lost Path Ages" of which "Ruins of Azmar" is the 4th age. It might be "Path Of The Lost Ages" as indicated in the UAM in Drizzle.

Right, I forgot that; the correct title is indeed “Path of the Lost Ages”. I’ve also sent a PM to Melvin, but he hasn’t answered yet.

I’ll need to hear from Justintime9 too, if he agrees to allow access to Tsoidahl Prad, I could put that in the City Locations book, since it was part of the DLC contest, and remove Zefora, which is accessible from Prad.
Korovev

Postby ametist » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:55 am

Korovev wrote:Need a map? :D
Show Spoiler

Thank you, I need that! :lol:

Korovev wrote:If anyone’s wondering, the minimum list of Ages for Geologica would be: Dragon’s tooth/Kinnekulle/Ordovician, Snake River, Cretaceous Park, Dragon’s tooth Classic.

I’ve sorted the Ages and changed the description; ideas for improvement (for this and other descriptions) are welcome.
Code: Select all
Geologica is a collection of educational Ages - actually used as teaching material in a Swedish school in the past! - based on the geology of areas in the United States and Sweden. You can search for fossils, solve geologic puzzles, and travel to ancient worlds.

'... in Swedish and American schools...' would be correct.

Thanks again!
ametist

Postby melvin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:55 am

I can't seem to confirm my email address to receive PM messages, just get an error message. Whatever you are planning, it's fine by me, I'm easy.
melvin

Postby diafero » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:20 am

I really like the new shelf. :)

However, I find it unclear what the "spoiler warning" is warning about -- does it tell me not to move to the later pages in the book? So maybe what about
text:,Ages by Dulcamara\n\nSpoiler warning: Elodeas Tunnelgang; Elodeas Schatzkammern; Alabaster 2; Alabaster 3 are provided for convenience. You should find links to these ages in Elodea and Alabaster; respectively.

Also "Ages by melvin" and "Ages by Dulcamara" is rendered a bit inconsistently, one being at the top and the other at the bottom of the page.

The “text:” field has neat hidden features, it accepts “\n” as a return and converts semicolons in commas

Oh right, I had forgotten about that :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Korovev » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:18 pm

diafero wrote:I find it unclear what the "spoiler warning" is warning about -- does it tell me not to move to the later pages in the book?

Yes, Elodea and Alabaster are two Ages divided into ‘levels’, while you can stumble into the entrance to the later levels, the intended progress is to complete each level before moving on.

Also "Ages by melvin" and "Ages by Dulcamara" is rendered a bit inconsistently, one being at the top and the other at the bottom of the page.

They should be at the same height now. Perhaps “by Author” looks better when an overall title is provided, e.g. “Path of the Lost Ages\nby Melvin”.

City of Dimensions could be added to the Big Fun Ages book.

I’ve made panel images for the newly added Ages (the names probably need fixing):
Blackfisk Show Spoiler
Gahlpo Vogehts Show Spoiler
Peliania Show Spoiler

I also have custom covers for all the Ages without one :)
Korovev

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 am

Yes, Elodea and Alabaster are two Ages divided into ‘levels’, while you can stumble into the entrance to the later levels, the intended progress is to complete each level before moving on.

Right, that just was not clear from the text I think.

Maybe an alternative to structure this would be something like
cover:PuzzleAges1
text:Puzzle Ages vol I,Path of the Lost Ages\nAges by Melvin
text:,Ages by Dulcamara
text:,Spoiler Warning\n\nThe following links are provided for convenience. You will find links to these ages in Elodea and Alabaster; respectively.

I’ve made panel images for the newly added Ages (the names probably need fixing)

Thanks, I'll add them to the ages on the Shard. :) (Not sure if this warrants a UAM re-release...)

Btw, Argosy does not seem to have an image either, so if you feel like it... ;)

I also have custom covers for all the Ages without one

Oh wow! So far I usually was of the opinion that age writers should pick the covers for their books, so I am not sure how I feel about just putting one in for them. And most of them are unlikely to ever appear in the game as these ages are not being updated any more. Anyway this is a separate discussion from the shelf reorganization I think.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island