Windows 7

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Are you still using Windows 7?

No, I'm on Windows 10.
63%
I am one of "those" who uses Windows 8.
5%
Yes, I am still on Windows 7.
32%
I'm still on Windows XP =O
No votes

Total votes : 19

Windows 7

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 pm

Although things may seem quiet, a new Gehn release will be coming at some point. We've had the hood up for quite some time, and a lot of changes have accumulated. In my testing, however, I have come up with a critically important question for our users... Do you still actively play Uru using Windows 7? As I'm sure you know, Windows 7 reached end of life a little over a year ago, so I would like to see where we stand. Currently, the Uru client sends us no telemetry about your system or gameplay habits other than the information you voluntarily submit... Off the top of my head, that's limited to pellet, heek, and CGZM scores and playing time. So, we don't have a way to know this information without asking ;)

This message doesn't mean we actively want to throw away Windows 7 users, but Microsoft officially marking an OS as end-of-life means that a lot of the components Uru depends on can and will.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Windows 7

Postby Sirius » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:12 am

Hahaha ! I'm one of "those" on Win8 :lol: But I barely play online anyway, so don't take my vote too seriously.
(Besides, it appears Win8 is going down the drain fast, being the black sheep of the bunch. I'm more and more tempted to make Linux my main OS...)

It's always good to read about the improvements on Gehn though. Good job on the upcoming release !
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Windows 10 has some really nice power-user options like WSL2 and includes all of the under-the-hood improvements from Windows 8 ;). It also includes a completely functional HiDPI API that we need to be using in Uru. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Chacal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm using Windows 7 but planning to migrate to Windows 10.
I don't play Uru online a lot.
Wait, I actually mean I don't play Uru online.
Wait, I mean I don't play Uru.
Wait, make that I don't play.

:oops:
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Windows 7 user here!
With no plans on switching to 10, unless MS seriously increase the UI customization options (which they won't). I'm not a fan at all of Win10's UI. :(

But I don't play online either; so make of that what you will. :)
Aloys

Postby Rabbit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 am

I am still an active URU player and everything URU I have, including my aborted Age build stuff is on Windows 7. I also have Windows 10 which I'm slowly migrating over to, but I really hate the way it looks and behaves, so I will only switch over when I absolutely have to.
Rabbit

Postby Sirius » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:37 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Windows 10 has some really nice power-user options like WSL2 and includes all of the under-the-hood improvements from Windows 8 ;). It also includes a completely functional HiDPI API that we need to be using in Uru. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

WSL2 and the HiDPIAPI are neat features and I can see the appeal, but it just isn't enough for me to cope with the rest of the bullshit MS stuffs into their OS.
Doesn't mean the OS is completely bad, of course - and it's a good thing that it's moving forward. I'm just not the target audience anymore.

Chacal wrote:Wait, make that I don't play.

:lol:
Personally I still play games, but mostly the same 3-4 games for the past couple years - I just like them so I keep playing them. Newer games don't interest me any more. So naturally people keep telling me to buy game X or Y which just came out, to buy a switch, a ps5, etc.
Sirius

Postby bertydion » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:45 am

My experience says that this version has much more strengths. My friend bought a laptop with win 8.1 preinstalled, and even after using it for 6 months, he formatted it and installed win 10 because he never liked to win 8 or 8.1. But with win 10, they push such piles of updates that you spend more time updating and restarting rather than your work, so my friend dumped everything and went back to 7, and he is very happy with it. Everyone I know has been using 7 for a long time, and it is the most perfect OS since XP. I still buy the win 7 installer from the official website https://mysoftwarekeys.com. I won't be updating the Windows version on my computer for a long time yet.
Last edited by bertydion on Tue May 03, 2022 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bertydion

Postby Maroonroon » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:51 am

I used some Windows OS:

• XP: I liked it very much.
  • Vista: I hated it. (It isn't in the options?)
  • 7: My favorite = I still use it.
  • 8: I hated it.
  • 8.1: I liked it = I'll use it again when I'll leave 7 (if I leave it...).
  • 10: I hate dislike it a lot = I'll use it again when I'll leave 8.1; so, it isn't for now as I will use 8.1 again when I'll leave 7 (if I leave it...).

I still have to try/test Windows 11; but for now I see it like a "Windows 10 update" (a "Windows 10.1"), so, I'll probably use it instead of Windows 10... Maybe.
Maroonroon

Postby Aloys » Sun May 08, 2022 5:51 am

Win 7 users are still around. They are a very small minority at this point. According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey, Win 7 users represents *less than 3%* of all users. (we almost have more Mac OS users than win 7 users at this point :lol: )

Myself I just finally switched to Win 10 a couple months ago, because too many new games and tools are no longer available at all on 7. :( So yeah, adapt or die. (I still don't like 10's UI. Not to mention its total lack of customization options, but that's nothing new for Windows..)
Aloys

Next

Return to Gehn Shard