Introduce Yourself

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby SereneTiki » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:33 pm

This is TikiBear. I have been in the Cavern since around 2009. I am a fan of the MYST series and enjoyed Obduction. I am a Kickstarter backer for Firmament. My "other" favorite game is Journey. I'm a fan of hidden object games. I'd like to make a hidden object Age sometime.

I wrote the ages Duck Knee Skydiving Club, Sprite Gallery and Paper Pagodas with PyPRP. They are now ported to Korman 0.1. I have added fixes and workarounds to Korman, so you'll see things in the ages that aren't yet available in the main Korman branch.

I am so amazed by all of the age writing talent here! I am inspired to learn more.

My three ages are tests of technique and design. Stories are emerging that will be important in the first real "story" age I'm working on. It's turning out to be spooky!

The Sprite Gallery hosts rotating exhibits. Feel free to ask to exhibit something! The upcoming exhibit is The Great Tree Excavation Preview. Secret tunnels! Fancy chairs! Phony linking books!

Finally, let me address strange rumors. I was not involved in Veelay or the other wonderful fan ages now available in the main Cavern. I do appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not in that league.

I look forward to "meeting" other writers.
SereneTiki

Re: JahmanMyst aka JahmenMyst

Postby JahmanMyst » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Okay, Like many others who posted. I've player through every Myst stand alone game. Including the initial Online (short lived) Uru Release into Chronicles Path of the Shell. Later into what I call the GameTap MOUL game. And then the MOUL, again online game.

My only talent and contribution was in creating an extensive Series of Quest Marker Games with a Story line theme of Journal Quests. I introduced it in 2008 as a real time Community Quest Series.
It had required several accounts and avatars running on 3 computers to host it all.
I finished building the entire Quest Series in 2012.

My creative motivation stemmed from the GameTap era of New Ages being introduce roughly every month or so. Usually it only took a few days for the new age puzzles to be solved and posted to the Forums.
This was when I realized the power of a community of explorers working together on Age puzzle solving. I had always wondered why the new ages were made so simple that the community of explorers could solve them all so quickly.
After making my Quests Series of Puzzles and Stories, I learned by the experience that Myst Uru by nature is a single explorer based game.
Most explorers will prefer to play the new Ages independently more often that with others.

Even though I had explained the Quest Marker puzzles were made for several explorers playing together to solve them, most ignored getting others to help them.
And because I had intentionally created my Quest Series of Puzzle markers very hard for any single explorer to do on their own, most explorers would simply quit than get help.
I had mistakenly thought explorers would find others to join them in playing a multiplayer Series of Quests.
The Story Quest Journals were the reward give after a Quest Puzzle game was solved.

Then two (2) game changing things happened for me and my Quest Series. MOUL,a had a Vault reset that wiped out explorers game progress.
Then came the change in the MOUL,a PhysX that changed dramatically how avatars behaved in game.
They went from sticking to where ever they jumped to, to falling forward as in real life with momentum.
This meant that jumping into the fun "out of normal play places" was made either impossible to do or extremely hard to do now.

Most all of my Quest Marker Game puzzles were made obsolete for this change. I was forced to remake them so single players could solve them by being able to get to the new markers.
Then the game Client changed the Marker Quests Code format from JSON to YAML. This doomed my Quest Series.
Because I hadn't the technical skills to covert the JSON Code to YAML Code back then. All of my Quest Series Games and Story Journals where 120 to a 150 markers or more long.
Remaking the Quests with new markers and text would be labor intensive beyond what I could do., given they took me years to build.

2020: I came back into MOUL,a when I saw the announcement of new fan created open source Age content coming.
So, I looked through the Myst Online Uru Live Forum and was able to cobble together a working Marker Editor.
I tracked down some posts about a PHP translator for JSON to YAML Code which led me to do an online search for a converter. And yes, I found a website converter for such.

It was my good fortune that because I had used the original Marker Editor Lyrositor had made, I still had most of my Quest Series of Games and Stories in my own PC Games folder.
Yep! You guessed it, all of the up loadable .txt files.
So, my adventure begins again with restoring my Quest Series of games and Story Journals.
JahmanMyst

Postby Megan/Kimberly770770 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:19 am

hi hi my name is MeGaN love URU just found this new game love to see ya in game fun fun
MeGaN PrOvOsT
Megan/Kimberly770770

Postby Megan/Kimberly770770 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 am

Hey i am MeGaN i am trying to install the Deep Shard, But it keeps freezing up if i could get someone to remote desktop or something to help. Please.
MeGaN PrOvOsT
Megan/Kimberly770770

Postby Eh'ko » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:52 am

Shorah all,

This post is more of a 're-introduction' as some of you will have met me before, under my previous user account D'eux I believe that user account is still valid on this site, however I have yet to receive a password reset email from the site admin in order for me to use it again. Therefore I have registered again as a new user, using a name that may sound familiar to some :)

A great deal of time has passed since I last posted here and spoke to some of you, and I know that in particular the last year or so has been incredibly challenging for all of us globally. I hope that you are all well and coping with the unprecedented circumstances that many of us find ourselves in. The warm, welcoming spirit and sense of unity of the MYST/MOUL community has always stayed with me and I have often reflected on the good times I enjoyed in URU Live and here on the GoW forum. Despite the years that have passed, it is inspiring to see that the Guild continues to survive and that many names I recognise are still posting and writing personal Ages.

I would very much like to participate once again in writing Ages and to return to this community. Much has no doubt changed since I was last here, but being a Blender user I am pleased to see that the Korman plugin now allows for Age writing using tools that I am very familiar with. I would appreciate any advice that other writers can offer regarding how folks are running and testing Ages and whether community members are still meeting up online using a MOUL server.

My best wishes to all of you, and especially to those who I recognise as long term members of this Guild. As you know too well... the ending has not yet been written :)

-: D'eux :-
Eh'ko

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:27 am

Welcome back !

Eh'ko wrote:Despite the years that have passed, it is inspiring to see that the Guild continues to survive and that many names I recognise are still posting and writing personal Ages.

Uru's community is not as big as it used to be, but it's still alive :) Things are a bit quieter, but there is a lot less drama than there used to be, and things are looking good. And our tools keep getting better !

Eh'ko wrote:I would appreciate any advice that other writers can offer regarding how folks are running and testing Ages and whether community members are still meeting up online using a MOUL server.

Most of the important info is on the Wiki, and we help each other in the forums. You've already found out about Korman; there is also ZLZ for Age importing. Uru CC didn't really get any meaningful updates, but is still very convenient to test out Ages. Deep Island and Gehn/Minkata Shards can be used to release Ages playable online. And most Sundays there are people visiting Fan-Ages on Deep Island. And the All-Guild Meetings the first weekend of each month. Pretty cool.
It's also worth checking the Guild of Messengers every now and then, since it aggregates the news from various websites. This way you don't miss anything interesting.
Sirius

Postby Zapoteca » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm

Eh'ko wrote:This post is more of a 're-introduction' as some of you will have met me before, under my previous user account D'eux I believe that user account is still valid on this site, however I have yet to receive a password reset email from the site admin in order for me to use it again. Therefore I have registered again as a new user, using a name that may sound familiar to some :)

Hey, I remember you!

I remember being fairly impressed by the age you were building back in the old days. Here's hoping you can finally finish it!
Zapoteca

Postby Eh'ko » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am

Hey Zapoteca,

Good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words :) I'm in the process of trying to recover all my old files and artwork, with a view to putting something together using Blender/Korman. It's going to be a re-learning process that's for sure.

Eh'ko

Postby Chacal » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:47 am

D'eux! Welcome back!
I'm still waiting for your Age.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Eh'ko » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 am

Thank you Chacal, and it's good to see you again :)

I'm still waiting for your Age.

Yes, along with any other die-hard Writers who are still here after so many years ;) I thought I had a backup of the original generated game files somewhere, but so far have been unable to locate them. I do however have the source Blender/texture files, so I will see if I can restore something to a working state as it was around 12 years ago. I will then post it up for download. As to what happens from that point forward...

Eh'ko

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion