Cyan's texture gallery

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Cyan's texture gallery

Postby sarpedon2 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 am

Sirius wrote:Sarpedon, the online image gallery has downscaled textures. Cloning the repository with Git is harder but you'll get the original (higher res) images, sorted by Age :)

Any instructions online on how to use GitHub to get the original textures?

Sirius wrote:Are you talking about retexturing Todelmer to turn it into the daytime version ? That will require a lot more than just textures, since for instance lighting information is baked into the meshes. Otherwise, no, replacing the textures just allows increasing their resolution, there should be no big problem with it (well, aside from repacking them inside the PRPs or loading them at runtime, but this needs further investigation).

Oh no I just wanted to see what Todelmer looked originally before it was adjusted for use in Myst V. Also thanks for telling me how the lighting works in each age. IMO Baked Lighting is very underrated

Sirius wrote:Although to be honest, I'm not fond of texture upscaling in general. In my experience, it just interpolates pixels and adds a random noise pattern. Unless you're using a very well trained AI, or a professional tool - and even then, you need to manually check each texture one-by-one to ensure it doesn't look worse than the original.

Yeah I found in quick tests, certain textures did not respond well to upscaling. Take this cloth texture for example. For some reason I can't upload the upscaled version, but you would be able to guess what issues upscaling this would have.
Attachments
islmBlanketGreen.jpg
islmBlanketGreen.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
sarpedon2

Postby Sirius » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:47 am

sarpedon2 wrote:Any instructions online on how to use GitHub to get the original textures?

You'll need a Git client, which can be used either in command-line mode, or through a desktop interface. Personally I learnt to use Git in command-line only, but you'll probably have an easier time with one of those.
Once you have it, there should be a "clone" button somewhere. Clone this URL:
Code: Select all
https://github.com/H-uru/moul-assets.git

Don't mind the rest of the interface, once the repo is cloned you can just exit it and browse the files which were just downloaded.

(Alternatively, the command-line version is "git clone https://github.com/H-uru/moul-assets.git", but if you ever need to use Git for something else, the graphical version is usually easier to use.)

EDIT: Ignore that. Those GUIs are even worse than I thought. Scroll down to my next post, if all you intend to do is cloning the repository, the command-line tool is just as easy and less cluttered.

sarpedon2 wrote:IMO Baked Lighting is very underrated

Underrated but hard to setup !
It would be interesting to see what modders can achieve in other engines once raytracing becomes the norm. This could eliminate the need for tedious baking...

sarpedon2 wrote:Yeah I found in quick tests, certain textures did not respond well to upscaling. Take this cloth texture for example. For some reason I can't upload the upscaled version, but you would be able to guess what issues upscaling this would have.

The reason you can't upload both files is probably because they have the same filename.
Yeah, manmade patterns like carpets typically confuse upscalers. It also depends heavily on how the AI was trained.

Speaking of which... I tested ESRGAN on some Uru textures a while ago, and the results were horrible (due to bad compression). I re-tested on some of the uncompressed images, and it's much better. Still too smooth, but acceptable.
Now, since we have the entire texture library without compression artifacts... It might be a good idea to retrain the ESRGAN model to see if we can make it perform even better. Gah, why am I always too busy IRL to try this stuff out ? :x
Last edited by Sirius on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby sarpedon2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:42 am

Have to admit my favourite discovery in all of this is textures that hint at the MUDPIE-era Teledahn, which featured giant mushrooms that would appear on the horizon and factory equipment that we never saw. I guess also that the age would have linked to D'ni and perhaps the Descent. Anyone here perhaps know more about the MUDPIE-era Ages?
sarpedon2

Postby ametist » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:15 am

[quote="Sirius"]
You'll need a Git client, which can be used either in command-line mode, or through a desktop interface. Personally I learnt to use Git in command-line only, but you'll probably have an easier time with one of those.
Once you have it, there should be a "clone" button somewhere. Clone this URL:
https://github.com/H-uru/moul-assets.git

Don't mind the rest of the interface, once the repo is cloned you can just exit it and browse the files which were just downloaded.

(Alternatively, the command-line version is "git clone https://github.com/H-uru/moul-assets.git", but if you ever need to use Git for something else, the graphical version is usually easier to use.)

I would like those textures! But geez, this is not for the fainthearted! I have a github account since many years, but only ever used it to 'clone' or download things (I am not even sure I understand what 'clone' means...) so I can find the H-uru/moul-assets. But then...
I looked at the GUI interface site, I downloaded and installed Github Desktop but uninstalled it when it asked me to get permission to see my personal email adresses. I download and installed SourceTree but quit that too when it required me to get an account with Bitbucket. So is it possible to use the 'command-line version' for me? How would I do that? Grateful for any help! ;) :roll:
ametist

Postby Sirius » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 am

ametist wrote:I downloaded and installed Github Desktop but uninstalled it when it asked me to get permission to see my personal email adresses. I download and installed SourceTree but quit that too when it required me to get an account with Bitbucket.

Haha ! Yeah, now you understand one of the reasons to use the command-line tool :) Unfortunately these GUIs usually promote whichever company made them. For some reason they appear to be popular for a lot of folks. Any self-respecting tool should NEVER ask you for an email/account to clone a public repository, but unfortunately the modern Web is riddled with this type of bullsh*t. (By the way, "clone" is the Git word for "download a copy of".)

Just download Git for Windows then. It includes both the command-line tool, and its own GUI. The GUI isn't bad but it's a bit clunky ; since you're gonna get the command line tool, might as well use that.
Let it install using defaults for everything, then right-click inside a folder, select "Git Bash Here" and enter the clone command.
git clone https://github.com/H-uru/moul-assets.git

That's all ! ;)
Sirius

Postby ametist » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Thank you so much Sirius! I choose Notepad++ as editor and got a familiar 'terminal' window, so now I have a folder moul-assets on my harddrive :)
ametist

Postby Maroonroon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:09 am

Sirius wrote:Just download Git for Windows then. [...]
Let it install using defaults for everything, then right-click inside a folder, select "Git Bash Here" and enter the clone command.
git clone https://github.com/H-uru/moul-assets.git

That's all ! ;)

ametist wrote:Thank you so much Sirius! [...] so now I have a folder moul-assets on my harddrive :)

[/thumbsup2] Thank you very much Sirius! 8-)
Maroonroon

Previous

Return to General Discussion