Logic scripting and one shot animations

Moderators: Trylon, Paradox

Re: Logic scripting and one shot animations

Postby Trylon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Aloys wrote:this is good news I was starting to worry.. ;)
However if I understand everything correctly we'll need a script for each object, do you envision a simple way to apply a script to several objects? For instance right now it's easy and fast to copy/paste properties for objects.. Say I have twenty footsteps regions in an Age that all use the same footstep sounds, would I have to create by hand a script for each one?

well, I could add that quickscripts can be set using logic properties as well as alcscript.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Marcello » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:00 am

Maybe this a wild idea, but would it be cool if we could drag basic script objects onto models? If basic script object function like script templates then we could open them and change and enhance them. Keeping them simple or if needed making them more complex.

Another idea... if I understand correctly the inner works Blender are based on nodes. A script could be considered a node. If we could use scripts in the same way as we use materials (which use is based on nodes), then it would be easy to share scripts among models/meshes. Using either Blenders default few or the node editor. Script objects could be easier shared within the community too.

Is something like that possible?
Marcello

Postby Trylon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:17 am

It is technically possible to have single scripts in text-files, and have objects have a script-link to such a text file.(though blender's scriptlink function).
They could be parsed by the plugin....
I'm just worrying about a jungle of text scripts :)

But it could be a powerful tool - in addition to the current way of putting it all in a text file called "alcscript".
Both options have their pro's and con's so it may be an idea to allow them both :)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Marcello » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:05 am

Sounds good. I understand your concern though. Would it be possible to have a designated directory for basic (plugin provided) scripts and templates? Something like a library? It should be impossible (or hard) to add scripts into this base library. Our own scripts should be placed somewhere else like a personal library (something original like "My scripts" ;) ). It would be nice if library scripts could be copied to My scripts so they can be editted.

Maybe I'm making things overly complex here, but I am trying to think of a way to handle the scripts load and to seperate basic scripts and templates (what I would like to call the learning scripts) from stuff we make ourselves.
Marcello

Postby Trylon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 am

Quick note:
Quickscript templates will primarily be in the python code for pyprp itself.
And in principle you will never have to see the script that those templates produce, as they are parsed internally almost the moment they are made :)
Trylon

Postby Marcello » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:02 am

Ok, in that case users themselves are responsible for the mess they make of their scripts library ;) ;) Sounds good!
Marcello

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Of course you could still decompyle them from the output python files and paste them into your personal scripts for customisation (messing).
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Previous

Return to Scripting Journal