Seeking Advice on Minigame Interface

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Seeking Advice on Minigame Interface

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Jennifer_P wrote:Okay; so then, how far out do you think this is...? I.e. do you think that we could be using these GUI features within the next three months, six months, eight months? I'm just wondering if we should wait for the good stuff, or just make do with what's available now in terms of user controls.

With this project having spent 8+ months in the design phase, I'm reasonably confident that this feature will be adequately available before anyone gets around to implementing the journal. :P As I've said before, with a project being so meticulously designed, it is better to assume that you will have all the required features of plasma available to you in the future, when implementing the age.

For example, Ahra Pahts was originally designed 2 or so years ago, but a number of it's design features have only recently become available for general implementation, such as running water, ridable boats, visregions. (yes, pahts was designed to take advantage of visregions from the start, hence the high district walls and small openings)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:41 am

Okay, sounds reasonable. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:10 pm

With the recent release of Drizzle, the Jalak GUI works perfectly. I suggest you study this, it might come handy.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Shoggoth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:50 am

Any updates on this? A puzzle I'm working on pretty much requires a GUI with clickables. It's not like I'll be implementing it anytime soon - I'm still modeling the Age, no programming or even textures yet - but I was just wondering. Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I think it's relevant.
Shoggoth

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:03 am

Shoggoth wrote:Any updates on this? A puzzle I'm working on pretty much requires a GUI with clickables. It's not like I'll be implementing it anytime soon - I'm still modeling the Age, no programming or even textures yet - but I was just wondering. Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I think it's relevant.

As far as i know, Paradox hasn't implemented plGUI_ButtonMods yet, the most basic of the "clickable" buttons, into PyPRP. The GUI and Cameras however are implemented. My submission to DAWN will have a few basic ones, just note popups like you find in Baron City office and Takotah Rooftop. So if you have libPlasma you can simply make the buttons with pageeditor, and the rest in Blender. It's fairly easy to do now, just a bit time consuming. I'm sure if you bug Paradox enough though he'll get around to implementing other GUI stuff (hint hint, bug him, bug him now. :D)
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:11 am

GPNMilano wrote:The GUI and Cameras however are implemented. My submission to DAWN will have a few basic ones, just note popups like you find in Baron City office and Takotah Rooftop.

They are? In PyPRP? :shock: In that case, can we have a quick tutorial?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

D'Lanor wrote:
GPNMilano wrote:The GUI and Cameras however are implemented. My submission to DAWN will have a few basic ones, just note popups like you find in Baron City office and Takotah Rooftop.

They are? In PyPRP? :shock: In that case, can we have a quick tutorial?

They're in Dox' contrib branch of the SVN. They've been there for like a couple of months now.

You need to create two planes, one for the clickoff button, and one for the GUI Dialog. The plane for the click off button should be larger then the guidialog plane, and be below the dialog plane. Then you you need to add a camera to the scene. Position the camera so that it points at the two planes and that the clickoff plane encompasses the entire camera view. Once you've got it situated right, you rotate the camera so that it points in the opposite direction of the two planes.

Then you just add this alcscript:

Code: Select all
<Camera>:
   type: guicamera
   name: <Camera>
   camera:
      hither: 0.5
      yon: 1000
   dialog:
      name: <Plane1>
      camera: posteffectmod:<Camera>
      modal: true
      transparent: 0

The name of Plane1 should be the name you want the GUI to be. After exporting you then just need to do some minor editing in PRC so that the button is attcached to the scene object plane for the dialog click off. And so that the dialog itself has the button mod attached.

Later today I'll post some screenshots so that you get an accurate idea of what it should look like.
GPNMilano

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks. But didn't Paradox' say his branch would break a whole bunch of other stuff that we are used to from the main branch? Oh, the joys of open source... ;)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 pm

D'Lanor wrote:Thanks. But didn't Paradox' say his branch would break a whole bunch of other stuff that we are used to from the main branch? Oh, the joys of open source... ;)

This is actually one of those thats pretty simple to merge. Its a new python file called prp_GUIClasses. You just need that, the necessary notations in dox' prp_ResManager.py for the Gui stuff and the gui code from PRP_File i believe it is.
GPNMilano

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Sometime either tonight or tomorrow I will upload the necessary scripts for GUI Classes to my contrib, as these don't have some of the age breaking stuff thats in Dox' contrib.

I forgot that you'd also need the new stuff to set coordinate interface flags on a per object basis (this is important for GUI's as they need to specific flags to work right/)
GPNMilano

PreviousNext

Return to Scripting