Fan Age expedition: Tikibear’s Ages [spoilers]

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Fan Age expedition: Tikibear’s Ages [spoilers]

Postby Korovev » Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Sprite Gallery Show Spoiler

On the 13th expedition of the Fan Ages Touring Club, we visited Tikibear’s Ages. See Minasunda’s video!
Tikibear was present, undercover, but he totally did not deceive me, not even for a second :lol: .

Tikibear recently updated his Ages; if you haven’t visited them in a while, it’s definitely time for another visit. All three now incorporate CalumTraveler’s GoW fan Age seal. They could be categorised as ‘demos’, as one of Tikibear’s intents was to showcase features of PyPRP then, and Korman now (with some tweaks of his own); but do not underestimate them on this definition.
These Ages are a work in progress to this day, so when Tikibear will need more testing, I’m sure we will all be ready for a second visit!

Paper Pagodas was originally released on January 2009. Based on the Eames ‘House of Cards’, it consists of three pagodas surrounded by fog and water (and a lot of leaves). The update changed the original look (stone covered in ivy) to actual crinkled paper. A few spots on the pagodas levels trigger fixed camera views, a nice touch for group photos; a few allow for “dangling feet in the water”.
The Age is surrounded by a very tall wall, quite far from the pagodas. An easter egg or two for the explorers daring enough to swim all the way to the wall could be a neat idea.

Sprite Gallery was originally released on December 2008. The main area is a large concrete platform in the middle of, apparently, a desert. On the platform there are various items: lots of sofas (including a very comfy one), a bar, a horizontal imager, screens, and a circular building, which is actually a dance floor!
In the original version, the sky was a starry night, the textures were basic and there were less items to interact with. The update brought a drastic overhaul of the look of the Age, adding most of the details, objects and light effect that can be seen now. The dance floor has dynamic strobe lights; none of the surfaces are prerendered, and the decals are all dynamic.
There are semi-invisible (you can see them from the right angle) ramps around the platform, that eventually lead outside to the ‘desert’. Each screen shows an image from one of Tikibear’s Ages, two of which unreleased.
Next to the link-in point there is the fan Age seal; if you stand on it, a platform comes up from below the imager, but a fixed camera is also triggered for another nice group photo.

Duck Knee Skydiving Club was originally released on October 2008. The Age consists of two platforms, with a hole in the middle surrounded by a sort of energy field contained in a series of forks; each platform has a smaller platform below it, connected by a ladder. Jumping in the middle, with the right angle, should send you through both platforms and back to Relto.

To understand the name and intent of the Age, it should be noted that back in 2008 ‘skydiving’ had a meaning closer to actual skydiving: climbing on tall locations and jumping down together, trying to achieve the longest fall before panic-linking. To find new places to jump from, skydivers little by little learned to jump around invisible barriers.
By 2009–2010, the original meaning was completely overridden to mean ‘gitching’, run-jumping on colliders to cross them and land on areas not meant to be seen; a more appropriate term could be ‘parkour’ or ‘free-jumping’ :geek: . Since then, the original meaning has been forgotten by most members of the community.

This Age is comparatively the less changed since its previous look: the forks are now rounder, the sky is clearer, and there is a city below the platforms! 26,400 ft down, according to aqua. Unfortunately, an exporting problem created an unintended upward current strong enough to lift people; it is an interesting added challenge, though :)
The GoW seal triggers a group photo camera spot in here too, this time from the perspective of a tethered yellow drone.

A Twitch stream will be available for the next two weeks.

-----

Next time (May 17 at 11:00 KIT), we will begin our two-part visit to the Geologica series by Ametist and Metabasalt, 10 educational Ages of varied complexity about Geology.
However, Doobes’ GoMe New Pub and Veelay Tsahvahn have just recently been released; if Chiso Preniv too will be released by next Sunday, we will do a Doobes special and continue our regular expeditions the following Sunday.

(Previous tour: the RAD & DAWN Ages)
Last edited by Korovev on Tue May 19, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Re: Fan Age expedition: Tikibear’s Ages [spoilers]

Postby diafero » Mon May 11, 2020 12:56 am

Doobes’ GoMe New Pub and Veelay Tsahvahn have just recently been released; if Chiso Preniv too will be released by next Sunday, we will do a Doobes special and continue our regular expeditions the following Sunday.

Chiso Preniv has just been released. :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Korovev » Sat May 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Then special expedition tomorrow :D
Korovev

Postby Korovev » Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am

I’ve found a video where you can see the beginning of the modern meaning of “skydiving”.
Korovev

Postby SereneTiki » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:31 pm

It did not occur to me that anyone wouldn't know who I was.

The Sprite Gallery continues to display Korman features, some that I have ahead of the main branch.
The Gallery introduces Work Lights which make parkour surfaces and other colliders visible. Thus, you can have visible clues, or not, as you wish.
The main imager shows me with some Work Lights in Phil's Relto. The safety fences, parkour faves, are made visible by the lights.
Having transparent scaffolding that you only see when you need to is turning out to be quite useful. What I didn't expect is that it's also beautiful.
I imagine that The Gallery resides on an island. The original plan was that the outside be vague, just for background, but it has been incorporated to some extent.

Paper Pagodas could use some Easter eggs! I think the Great Bird was restored after our tour. It was also part of the original version. Now that I have subworlds working I should have it carry explorers off.

The camera would never behave for the original Duck Knee (see the Relativity age to experience that). I went a different direction with the subworld dynamics this time. Only with my latest Korman update do the subworlds finally behave!

I haven't used SDL, yet, so there is still only Korman node logic.
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:05 am

I have updated the elevator in the Chamasa Restoration to SDL. Once things are "finalized" I'll release the Blend file. Please try out the age in DI. There's still a bug at this writing. I have submitted an update.

The logic is based on the elevator script for Teledahn.

There's a work-around for Korman not yet having animation event detectors: A kickable in a box is used to trigger animation sensors.

I will include the experimental Korman subworld patch in the Blend file. It corrects some issues with collisions, animation and geometry. Issues that hamper subworlds.

The elaborate node tree for the elevator is cool. Node trees are finicky about wire ordering and this is no exception! I wonder if there are rules written down somewhere.

I applied a dynamic avatar subworld to the windmill. It helps make moving objects interactive.

I am pleased by my first foray into SDL.
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:16 am

Maybe getting feedback at this stage is a good idea. Here is a link to a version of the age file. The Python file with the patch is included.

https://app.box.com/s/4ubin0ke3bzqyt939rv2bdbskiavktbc
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:25 am

With Korman 0.11a there is no need for a patch. Here is an updated Blend file.

https://app.box.com/s/q9d7o1odc2vmb1vg1sxebc3eykv6yvi6
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:11 pm

Shorah, Explorers!

I have been unable to get the Chamassa Restoration elevator to work properly in DI. The ground floor animation sensor fails. I am going to leave it for now. It works in PoTS/URU:CC.

I have a secret work-around for Deep Island. If you walk next to the wall past the plinth with the book then the elevator will be turned back on, though it will think it's on the second floor. You'll be able to ascend.

TikiBear
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:00 pm

Shorah, Explorers!

It didn't take me long to run into Korman's limit on the number of mesh vertices. I have a scheme to break them apart and maintain continuity of normals for smooth shading. I have a sample Blend file with a terrain mesh with over 65000 polygons.

https://app.box.com/s/culy77v4bj3ql8iuwv2wmpmgph030vrv

The split sections have invisible overlaps to force matching normals across boundaries. The seams are thus invisible WRT to shading continuity.

Let me explicitly point out that this technique isn't useful for flat-shaded meshes. They don't need matching normals.

The Blend file includes the original mesh, though it is not exported.

Please let me know if there's a simpler way to accomplish this.

Yours in Yahvo,
TikiBear
SereneTiki

Next

Return to Deep Island