Why did we kill off the Development Journals again?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Why did we kill off the Development Journals again?

Postby Aloys » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Sort of a random question, but I was wondering, where they killed back then? Those where not entirely inactive. I loved using mine.

Sometimes getting motivated to work is hard, and having a log where you can publish stuff periodically is a nice way to motivate oneself. Also it's a nice way to post stuff that may not necessarily fit in the other sub forums..

I know these days there are lots of free blog platforms, as well as Facebook and all kind of fancy services; but I'd rather do it here.. :?
Aloys

Re: Why did we kill off the Development Journals again?

Postby Sirius » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm

What's the point ? We got the Cyan discord, which is much better than any forum. (/low effort sarcasm)

Weren't the dev journals removed because people wouldn't use it, or wouldn't be notified of new additions ?
They were a good way to centralize the blogs of all Uru people without having them scattered across FB. I wouldn't mind posting random stuff there, I'm just not sure anyone would notice...
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 pm

The development journals were never killed off - you log in to the wordpress main site using your forum account and make a post.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:08 am

And it even has an RSS feed at https://www.guildofwriters.org/journals/feed/, so I can add it to my list and not miss anything coming up ! Awesome. (Can't believe I went on so long without knowing about RSS - it's so convenient... I'm glad it wasn't completely killed by the current trend of UI heavy clients full of advertisement garbage.)

I can't login though. It recognizes neither my username, nor my email address.
Although to be honest, I'm not even sure what I would post there. The forums are calm enough, it might not be worth scattering discussions even more.
On the other hand, on occasions I feel like posting about personal projects but find it too spammy or not interesting enough for the forums. Maybe it would fit there ?
Sirius

Postby ametist » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 am

Sirius wrote:I can't login though. It recognizes neither my username, nor my email address.

I just tried and I can't login either.

I for one would like to use the Development Journals myself! And read others. :)
ametist

Postby Aloys » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:23 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:The development journals were never killed off - you log in to the wordpress main site using your forum account and make a post.

>_> I had totally forgotten about that.
It's not like there's a big link at the top of this very page. Wait. >_>

My question still stands though: why? Why were they moved over to Wordpres, when they were working fine as part of the forum? WP does have technical advantages, but I fear taking them out of the forums give them far less visibility. And the way to use them isn't obvious.
Aloys

Postby Tweek » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am

Dev journals have been running on Wordpress for years think they moved over back when I did the design for the site.

I stopped using mine cause I tend to post over on my Age building FB page more.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am

As best I remember, they got moved over about 10 years ago, as Tweek said. The reason being, again, as best I remember, I would field a great many requests for dev journals via PM. These involved creating a new subforum and tedious fiddling with permissions - and usually the journal would sit relatively idle. So it was kind of annoying work for no readily apparent payoff. Hence the move to a move streamlined platform.

I'll have to look into the login issues when I feel like I can tolerate doing any web work (ugh, web work).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:20 pm

Bah, I don't expect a lot of people to take an interest in dev journals, so I guess it's fine if they are less visible. From what I could see they act more like blogs, so less focused on discussion and more on sharing personal experiences or trivia with other devs.

Tsar Hoikas wrote:I'll have to look into the login issues when I feel like I can tolerate doing any web work (ugh, web work).

Tell me about it. Due to covid I had to switch over to making websites. Ugh, never thought programming could be so un-fun... Anyway, there is no rush, so do it when you feel like it.
Sirius

Postby JahmanMyst » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:40 pm

It was nice to happen on to this post. I too wondered what happened to the forum Journal we had made. I went to update/ add something to mine and it was gone.
I never knew why, how or even imagined it ad been moved. I don't recall seeing anything about the move of them posted.
But in all fairness my activity wasn't consistent with it either. I did enjoy seeing other work and sometime found similar concepts and ideas to my own.
Which did made me wonder at times if some where not stealing from others for their own works.

Anywho, did Tsar Hoikas ever get the WordPress web logon thing fix for use to go find and see our journals?
JahmanMyst

Return to General Discussion